VIA 6410 IDE controller PCI card problem.

mattklump

Card is installed and works fine in my Vista Ultimate x64 system. 4GB RAM. Primary drive is SATA connected to on-board. Storage drives are to be connected to controller card. System boots fine as long as drives aren't connected to card. Once drives connected, system sits at boot-up splash screen w/ knight rider status bar. Never boots.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

My Computer

Do you have access to another graphics card ?

Try swapping them and see if that fixes the problem.

I had a video card wouldn't work with a computer, random reboots, sometimes it would hang up during boot. Put that card in another machine, worked fine. Put a different video card in the first machine, worked fine.

I couldn't find anything wrong with the computers nor the video card.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
Card is installed and works fine in my Vista Ultimate x64 system. 4GB RAM. Primary drive is SATA connected to on-board. Storage drives are to be connected to controller card. System boots fine as long as drives aren't connected to card. Once drives connected, system sits at boot-up splash screen w/ knight rider status bar. Never boots.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
The reason it wont or boot off your SATA drive when you connect it, is because it is not a SATA controller. It is a controller for IDE drives.

For VT6410, which is an IDE RAID controller, use ATA HDDs (not SATA)-or dont use this controller. Evidently you have a onboard SATA controller otherwise your SATA HDD would not load (unless switched to IDE mode)
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=54

Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA, standard AHCI-mode, or vendor-specific RAID. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed.[2] Legacy-mode is a software backward-compatibility mechanism intended to allow the SATA-controller to run in legacy operating-systems which are not SATA-aware.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Unless you switched your HDD in the BIOS from ACHI to IDE, I dont know why you would be using a IDE storage controller for a SATA drive.

I would check your device manager for the storage controller, It should be a SCSI (if it wasnt Windows would not see your drive, and thus not load it). When you tell it to use a IDE (ATA) controller It will look for PATA/ATA Hard drives, then will not find it, and will not load the drive- thus Windows does not load.

This is the version 5.80c for Vista x64 SATA storage controller for Discrete Serial ATA RAID controllers VT6420/1 ( VT6420 VT6421 )
VT6410 IDE RAID controller ( VT6410 )

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=37&CatID=3000&SubCatID=117

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
My bad. I hadn't included that the secondary (storage) drives were IDE. THat's why I'm using an IDE controller card. The on-board IDE controller is serving the optical drives.

My Computer

My bad. I hadn't included that the secondary (storage) drives were IDE. THat's why I'm using an IDE controller card. The on-board IDE controller is serving the optical drives.

If it is the Optical drive controller why are you connecting the SATA hard drives to it? I would check your BIOS settings. You evidently have an IDE/SATA controller-

Most controllers for SATA will also support IDE. Let me ask you this; If you remove the VIA6410 PCI card, can you boot from both a CD/DVD, and then from the hard drive into Windows?

If you can, then way are you trying to install a IDE PCI controller?

Perhaps you should replace the VIA 6410 with a VIA VT64210/Vt6421/A PCI card If you are having problems.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
I have the VIA VT6421 controller and I also have two SATA hard drives in RAID, and a IDE optical drive.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    11.5 KB · Views: 308

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
If it is the Optical drive controller why are you connecting the SATA hard drives to it? -- It's not the optical drive controller. Per my post, the on-board IDE controller is the optical drive controller. The on-board SATA controller is serving the SATA (primary) drive.

Most controllers for SATA will also support IDE. Let me ask you this; If you remove the VIA6410 PCI card, can you boot from both a CD/DVD, and then from the hard drive into Windows? -- The system boots fine with the card installed. It only hangs when the IDE drive is connected to its port.

If you can, then way are you trying to install a IDE PCI controller? -- The controller is to serve the secondary drive(s) used for storage.

Perhaps you should replace the VIA 6410 with a VIA VT64210/Vt6421/A PCI card If you are having problems. -- That's what I'm trying to avoid. If the card is compatible with the proper drivers (which I've installed), then I'd like to use it.

My Computer

Back