Cotton Candy Algae problem

JayHoe

Angelfish
I have an outbreak of Cotton Candy algae. Like so many before, I didn't realise what I had when I saw the first little pink clump... and it's already too late. It only takes a tiny bit for it to spread... and spread it has :-( I will diary my battle with it - hope it's a battle I will win!

Aww, that's sooo pretty!

20171105_101017.jpg

WTF!

20171105_101035.jpg

The ONLY solution I have come across in all my web searching is Mexican Turbos. So we have a plan... "Mr. Blonde, Mr. Blue, Mr. Brown, Mr. Orange, Mr. Pink, and Mr. White. , Let's go to work!"

"Why do I have to be Mr Pink?"

20171105_152125.jpg

Wish me luck!

Yep, dry Pukani. On a frag? With the initial Chaeto? With the Caulerpa? WHo knows. Remember, you only need a strand or even a few cells.

At least there is a solution to it! My problem is that if I had known when I saw that first little cute clump, I would have dealt with it then. For most infestations of this stuff people get a tiny bit and it really does look nice. Then a second bit and then... nightmare.

There’s two types of hermit crabs that will also devour that algae (and most other algaes). I had loads of it pop up on coral bases.... the hermits smashed it all....

That's good to know Tony, but what sort? In all my research into the problem, the only reported success was with the Mexican Turbos - and I can confirm that they do scoff the stuff!

From your 3rd video it certainly looks like you're on top of it now, you must be feeling good about those turbo's, they've done a fantastic job....your displaying is looking great again.....

LOL, see my other thread asking about controlling or eradicating them! I really like them... but I want a mixed reef tank, not a duster tank!

Back