• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
It doesn't seem very stealthy, I can clearly see it in all the pics 🤔
They've tested F-22s, 35s & 117s (yes they keep flying some of those 117s as testbeds) with White/Chrome:
New-F-22-Chrome-Raptor-top-image-678x381.jpg

message-editor%2F1642966514234-20220110_air-0034621.jpg

message-editor%2F1642931961812-dsc_2402-sharpenai-focus.jpeg

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I was stationed at Ellsworth (I'm out now) and my wife is from the Rapid City area, so I'm looking forward to seeing these things in the air when we head out that way to visit her family.

It's always fun watching the B1 come in for a landing right over I-90.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Looking this purely as a piece of advanced aeronautics and disconnecting the politics and morality of it all...

I'm curious what the flight capabilities of this thing are. If it's replacing the B-1 and the B-2 both then either it can go supersonic or the Air Force doesn't feel that's necessary anymore.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda amazing how similiar these things still look compared to the first prototype used by germany at the end of WW2

Horten_H.IX_V2.jpg

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
God. Being a test pilot for new jets must be so exciting and fucking frightening at the same time. Especially needing to do various tests.

I'm sure they get butterflies but military pilots are the cockiest people I've ever met. Makes sense though, the govt isn't gonna put you in the cockpit of a multi-billion dollar aircraft if you have confidence issues.

My wife actually met one of the pilots flying for the new Top Gun. She asked him if it was cool or stressful doing all the stuff for the movie, and he replied "just another day at the office" ha. You could almost visualize aviators appearing on his face like it's CSI: Miami

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Miyazaki is going to make a touching and heartfelt film about the life of the B21's lead engineer.

Looking this purely as a piece of advanced aeronautics and disconnecting the politics and morality of it all...

I'm curious what the flight capabilities of this thing are. If it's replacing the B-1 and the B-2 both then either it can go supersonic or the Air Force doesn't feel that's necessary anymore.
Well I presume the B-21 is supposedly subsonic from a quick googling, and they are planning to replace both the B-1 and B-2 (and eventually B-52 apparently) so I guess the USAF really doesn't think it need supersonic Strategic Bomber if the B-21's Stealth Capabilities like completely poop over any existing Military Aircraft since it's the first 6th gen Military Aircraft. And having eventually just one kind of Strategic bomber will be easier to maintain than three (with one of them being an overpriced Elephant basically that needs way too much TLC). And on the Subsonic in terms of "not being able to get there in time" there is some recent news that maybe Australia or someone else could have a handful of them if Bejing ever wants to go the Russia route of pulling a Ukraine style war in the Pacific.

I just wonder how B-21's development will filter to 6th and onwards aircraft because while F-35 gets a somewhat rep in terms of budget costs (I mean right now it's a way better buy per unit than 4+ gen multirole since it's more capable of striking into Contested Airspace) it still had a very troubled development cycle Vs the B-21 being under budget. Or any other potential development of any vehicle Military or Non-Military (like think Spacecraft development).

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Well I presume the B-21 is supposedly subsonic from a quick googling, and they are planning to replace both the B-1 and B-2 (and eventually B-52 apparently) so I guess the USAF really doesn't think it need supersonic Strategic Bomber if the B-21's Stealth Capabilities like completely poop over any existing Military Aircraft since it's the first 6th gen Military Aircraft.

You pretty much nailed it in one. Sixth-gen tech combined with stealth means if you're in an adversary aircraft, you die without any warning you're in danger. Maybe 2 or 3 seconds of RWR alarm and then boom, no time to even roll your aircraft to start defending. Hell, it's already like that with the F-35/AWACS datalink, sixth-gen datalinks will just proliferate that and make it much, much easier to coordinate. They can always un-mothball the B-1 from the boneyard (heh) if there ever is a requirement for a supersonic bomber, at least until a new one can be developed.

Nov 2, 2019
I hate the "this is why we don't have universal healthcare" because it's not true. This is what rich people want you to think. The United States can afford to give everyone free healthcare AND maintain the most technological advanced military in the world by a wide margin AND do even more if the rich and corporations actually paid what they should. Yes. Debate whether the money should be spent. But it's not an either or thing.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I'm convinced all UFO sightings in the desert were just low-RCS prototype aircraft

Take the F117 for example
210617-F-AU145-1148.JPG

F-117-official-photo.jpg

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I hate the "this is why we don't have universal healthcare" because it's not true. This is what rich people want you to think. The United States can afford to give everyone free healthcare AND maintain the most technological advanced military in the world by a wide margin AND do even more if the rich and corporations actually paid what they should. Yes. Debate whether the money should be spent. But it's not an either or thing.

It partially is in a way. Several lawmakers, and often general sentiment, have said that if universal healthcare was enacted, recruitment numbers for the military would go down.

We could have universal healthcare even if the rich and corporations didn't pay any more. The country's budget doesn't work like a household's.

Yup.

90% of this forum would be disqualified on the spot at MEPS because of medical reasons and/or bad credit/financial delinquencies.

And many of those medical reasons for disqualifying folks make no sense.

Bad credit doesn't immediately disqualify you. I had a friend join that had incredibly bad credit and debt. He just needed to show that he we actively paying on it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It partially is in a way. Several lawmakers, and often general sentiment, have said that if universal healthcare was enacted, recruitment numbers for the military would go down.

We could have universal healthcare even if the rich and corporations didn't pay any more. The country's budget doesn't work like a household's.
If recruitment numbers went down then this type of plane would be useful in lieu of more troops. Recruitment issues are a problem for the army or navy but wouldn't really be an issue when flying bombers with a crew of two and fewer maintenance staff than its predecessor.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
If recruitment numbers went down then this type of plane would be useful in lieu of more troops. Recruitment issues are a problem for the army or navy but wouldn't really be an issue when flying bombers with a crew of two and fewer maintenance staff than its predecessor.

Sure but the military would have less support staff and other troops. The pilots and maintenance crews need medical, dental, and other support.

Recruitment issues are a problem for all major branches. Retaining folks is hard for them too. Many lawmakers aren't exactly eager take away one of the benefits even if everyone deserves healthcare. Especially as the pool of eligible folks keeps getting smaller.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but the military would have less support staff and other troops. The pilots and maintenance crews need medical, dental, and other support.

Recruitment issues are a problem for all major branches. Retaining folks is hard for them too. Many lawmakers aren't exactly eager take away one of the benefits even if everyone deserves healthcare. Especially as the pool of eligible folks keeps getting smaller.
True. My point is just that for a wealthy country with fewer troops the shift would be toward silver bullets like this, advanced drones, MLRS, and submarines while focusing less on 4th generation planes and combat troops.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Kinda amazing how similiar these things still look compared to the first prototype used by germany at the end of WW2

Horten_H.IX_V2.jpg

Northrop's flying wing designs are probably more relevant seeing as they were produced by the same company and predate the Horten Ho 299. The claims that the Horten was designed as a stealth plane are almost certainly pure bullshit too.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Northrop's flying wing designs are probably more relevant seeing as they were produced by the same company and predate the Horten Ho 299. The claims that the Horten was designed as a stealth plane are almost certainly pure bullshit too.

Ya I'm pretty sure all the claims Horten and Co made about the Ho was just resumé boosting in hopes of not working for the USSR.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
I'm convinced all UFO sightings in the desert were just low-RCS prototype aircraft

Take the F117 for example
210617-F-AU145-1148.JPG

F-117-official-photo.jpg
That's also my theory,at least 80% of UFO sightings could be explained by that.
Imagine seeing a Harrier Jet before it was unveiled and seeing it stop mid air,i would freak the hell out.
I can only imagine the crazy prototypes that haven't been unveiled yet.

Deleted member 50498

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2018

And many of those medical reasons for disqualifying folks make no sense.

Bad credit doesn't immediately disqualify you. I had a friend join that had incredibly bad credit and debt. He just needed to show that he we actively paying on it.
It depends on what job to be honest.

You are not getting secret or top secret clearance with bad credit unless the military loosened their requirements for certain jobs since I left the service.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, what is the use case for bombers when we have cruise missiles, icbms, drones and satellite reconnaissance?

B52 gonna out live em all.

Lmao yeah I was reading yesterday the B52 is expected to serve until 2050, at which point the planes will be like 90 years old...

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Serious question, what is the use case for bombers when we have cruise missiles, icbms, drones and satellite reconnaissance?
You see those coming and either intercept them or in the case of ICBMs, launch your own. Russian cruise missiles and drones are getting shot down over Ukraine constantly.

TIME: The making of the U.S. military's new stealth bomber
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
time.com

Exclusive: The Making of the Military's New Stealth Bomber

The U.S. is making a massive, strategic gamble that hasn't paid off in the past

The B-21 is America's first advanced weapon system in a new Cold War with Russia and China. Strategists at the Pentagon envision the radar-evading B-21 penetrating those countries' air defenses to strike fortified targets should the growing military competition with Moscow and Beijing ever turn hot. If everything goes to plan, aerospace giant Northrop Grumman Corp. will produce at least 100 B-21s for the Air Force in the coming years at a current cost of $692 million per bomber—a price tag comparable to that of a skyscraper.

For the past year, TIME has followed the development of the B-21, visiting Plant 42 ahead of the rollout, observing engineering, manufacturing and testing teams; speaking with more than three dozen military, industry and political personnel involved with the program; and reviewing government documents detailing costs and development. While the program has hit early milestones, the largest challenges lie ahead for the Pentagon and its tendency to underestimate risk, technical difficulty and cost to get big-ticket programs like B-21 rolling.

Stealth is the B-21's defining feature. From the beginning, Northrop's engineers have labored to create a plane that can fly undetected through enemy air space and remain invisible to missiles and fighter jets. To lower the infrared and acoustic "signatures," the B-21 is designed to fly at subsonic speeds, powered by jet engines embedded into the wings like shark gills. High-tech coating materials are applied to the rounded exterior, creating a sponge-like skin reputed to absorb radar waves as they strike the aircraft. The B-21 is designed to be even stealthier than the B-2, which reportedly appeared no bigger than a tennis ball on radar screens despite a wingspan akin to a 747 jumbo jet.

The B-21's size, weight, range and payload remain undisclosed, but to the trained-eye it's noticeably smaller than the B-2. Many of the plane's technical details, however, will likely remain classified for as long as any of us are alive. The Air Force and Northrop have poured an untold fortune to prevent information from leaking out. Many suppliers remain unaware they are making parts for the B-21. Northrop engineers and technicians weren't unable to tell family or friends they worked on the program until June and even then, couldn't reveal details about what they do all day. "There can be some challenges because we can't really talk about what we do at work," says Hassan Charles, a B-21 technician at Plant 42. "But a lot of hands went into making this bird, a lot of hours, a lot of challenging times."

So far, the Air Force says, the B-21 is hitting all its projected targets, but it's hard to independently discern the plane's true costs. Yes, the bomber's projected $692 million per plane price tag is below the planned costs that the Pentagon announced a decade ago. But the unclassified numbers—published under the Air Force's procurement and "Research, Development, Test and Evaluation" budget lines—don't tell the whole story. Huge swathes of the program remain classified and if it garners so-called "black budget" funding, the public won't know. According to the Pentagon's 2023 request, the Air Force plans to spend nearly $20 billion on producing the B-21 for the next five years, but it's not clear how many planes that will buy. Production timelines and rates are classified.

Secrecy is a means to keep foreign adversaries in the dark, but it's also a means to hide costs, says Chuck Spinney, a retired Pentagon weapons analyst who has spent more than a half-century studying politicization of defense procurement. "The trouble with maintaining oversight on programs like the B-21 is all the interesting parts are black," he says. "That's by design. It's business as usual. Because when we find out that something goes wrong—and something always does—it's either too early to tell or too late to do anything about it."

It's not hard to see why planners want the new plane. The Air Force now has the smallest and oldest fleet in the nation's history. Roughly half of the Air Force's 141 bombers are B-52s, which rolled off assembly lines during the Kennedy Administration. During the last Cold War, the military's justification for big weapons programs focused on the Soviet Union, but the argument has shifted today as tensions with China rise. In the Asia-Pacific region, extensive distances are an obstacle for any battle plan, and Beijing has spent years investing in its air defense network with sophisticated radars, long-range S-400 surface-to-air missiles, and J-20 stealth fighters. These systems could prove problematic if, for example, China decides to invade the U.S.-allied island of Taiwan and an American President chooses to help defend it. Salvos of cruise missiles could slam into many targets from more than 1,000 miles away, but only a bomber can persist in contested airspace, find, identify, and attack mobile missiles threatening U.S. aircraft carriers and other forces.

The new B-21 stealth bombers are designed to fly thousands of miles away, slip undetected through enemy air defenses, drop several tons of bombs on targets and clear the way for U.S. and allied militaries. Only the B-2 can currently do that, and the U.S. owns just a handful.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It depends on what job to be honest.

You are not getting secret or top secret clearance with bad credit unless the military loosened their requirements for certain jobs since I left the service.

You can get both as long as you are showing that you are current with payments or trying to rectify it. The friend I'm speaking about was in IT and needed top secret clearance. My brother didn't have the best, even some delinquent bills, and was in intel as well. They very much prefer you don't have any problems, of course haha.

Though, this is for another thread really.

Oct 27, 2017
Cruise missiles only work when you know beforehand where and what to aim at, and with early warning radar are only valid against fixed targets. Even for advanced models that can shortly loiter, they aren't something you can use against targets of opportunity. ICBMS have no use-case as a conventional weapon, they only launch when the world is ending. Drones are subject to electronic warfare, and raise the ethical and developmental nightmare of if the link to the operator is severed, should it autonomously be allowed to use lethal force. Even for purely surveillance we've seen how Iran was able to forcibly land RQ-170. Lastly Satellite flight paths and positions are known and tracked, and for anything not in geosynchronous orbit you only have very little observation time over a given area.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Time sure has fallen when blatant grammar errors seep through into major articles:
Many suppliers remain unaware they are making parts for the B-21. Northrop engineers and technicians weren't unable to tell family or friends they worked on the program until June and even then, couldn't reveal details about what they do all day.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
What does need to be remembered is that the B2 is still the lowest observable aircraft in the world, better than the F22 despite its much larger size. The B21 is 2 generations ahead of the B2 in stealth tech so the chances of seeing it coming are miniscule.

With China potentially emboldened after Russian aggression in Ukraine its not a huge shock to see the US waving its todger around in this regard.

Though I'm sure China knows far more about it than we do already.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Geez, the way they're marketing this you'd think they made a metal gear.
It's halfway there. It's no walking tank, but it does have nuclear capability.

I can't really decide between being amazed by the engeneering that must go into one of these things to be that stealthy, or worried about what it can do and to who. I like the plane, I don't like what it's for.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
What does need to be remembered is that the B2 is still the lowest observable aircraft in the world, better than the F22 despite its much larger size. The B21 is 2 generations ahead of the B2 in stealth tech so the chances of seeing it coming are miniscule.

With China potentially emboldened after Russian aggression in Ukraine its not a huge shock to see the US waving its todger around in this regard.

Though I'm sure China knows far more about it than we do already.
To this in perspective, the B2's radar signature is the size of a tennis ball. A significantly smaller and more advanced stealth bomber like the raider will be more along the lines of a golf ball or maybe even a marble. Even if a peer army knows it's in theater, they're going to have a helluva time intercepting or locating a B21, especially if air superiority in the conflict area has been established beforehand. Its successors will probably be even more ghost like and without pilots if not fully autonomous.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

Even if this doesn't prevent us from having universal healthcare in the way you describe, it's still fucking stupid and tragic that we throw money at this dumb shit and not at something important, useful, and lifesaving...like universal healthcare. Like, this is the priority. Fuck that.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really decide between being amazed by the engeneering that must go into one of these things to be that stealthy, or worried about what it can do and to who. I like the plane, I don't like what it's for.

Strategic level weapons are a necessary evil to cancel out other strategic weapons. Same reason you don't have to like the money spent on the Ohio class but it exists for an important reason, and keeps the world a bit safer overall.

It would be nice to exist in a world where the cold war is undone and everyone agrees to not pursue these capabilities but we don't. It's more relevant than ever sadly as Ukrainians are put into mass graves by a country that promised them security in exchange for giving up their nuclear weapons.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Strategic level weapons are a necessary evil to cancel out other strategic weapons. Same reason you don't have to like the money spent on the Ohio class but it exists for an important reason, and keeps the world a bit safer overall.

It would be nice to exist in a world where the cold war is undone and everyone agrees to not pursue these capabilities but we don't. It's more relevant than ever sadly as Ukrainians are put into mass graves by a country that promised them security in exchange for giving up their nuclear weapons.

This aircraft is not inherently necessary nor will it keep the world "safer." Brink gamesmanship doesn't make the world safer and all the countries caught in between end up being greatly harmed. We'll find someone to use them on even if it's not the country that we are meaning to deter.

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
Many of the plane's technical details, however, will likely remain classified for as long as any of us are alive
This is really too bad. By the time we learn all the amazing tech details, they won't be as impressively cool anymore.

Still, I can't but be amazed at military aircraft like this. The hardware and engineering is somehow just sexy, even before you see the hot curves on this new B-21.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This aircraft is not inherently necessary nor will it keep the world "safer." Brink gamesmanship doesn't make the world safer and all the countries caught in between end up being greatly harmed. We'll find someone to use them on even if it's not the country that we are meaning to deter.
This. It's a death machine that will make the world worse, not safe.

People commenting on how amazing this plane is, your tax dollars went towards it. Are you all very happy? I bet when America creates an actual Death Star you will will be commenting on its sexy curves.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
How much Pepsi do I have to drink for one of those?

Estimated cost per B-21 is 700 million usd. The original Pepsi for the Harrier deal was 7,000,000 Pepsi points but later changed to 700,000,000. Cost of the Harrier offered at the time was about $40 million. So if 700,000,000 pepsi points were needed for $40 million that would be about 12.25 billion Pepsi points I think?

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
That is one sexy fuckin aircraft. Must have been cool to work in it.

My dad used to inspect aircraft engines and he remembers when they brought him the B2(?) engine to inspect. They brought the engine in completely covered and did not allow anyone else inside the room except for him while he was inspecting it.

The B-21 Raider and the future of the Air Force bomber force
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/EEc3uNhr3iU

The Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider is the Air Force's new stealth bomber. Slated to begin flight tests in 2023, the secretive aircraft was revealed to the public in December 2022. Capable of nuclear and conventional missions, the Air Force plans to use the B-21 to replace an aging bomber force over the coming decades.

"The B-21 looks very similar to the B-2 because the fundamentals of stealth and long-range penetrating air are built around the concept of a flying wing," said Doug Young, vice president and general manager, strike division at Northrop Grumman. "And that even goes back to the YB-49 jet when Jack Northrop actually created some of the first flying wings.'

Watch the video above to find out more about the new high-tech stealth bomber slated to fly in 2023.