Breeding Corydoras(ln9) Loxozonus, "Dirty Bandit Cory"

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Tensack
Location 1: Millsboro
Location 2: Delaware

Breeding Corydoras(ln9) Loxozonus, "Dirty Bandit Cory"

Post by Tensack »

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum, and I'm hoping to gain some information about the Dirty Bandit Cory. I have 7 of them in a 28 gallon bowfront tank, along with a number of other Corys. I purchased them at my LFS, so I'm not sure how old they are / which are F/M. I have a cycled 29 gallon that I'm considering moving the Dirty Bandits to. The hope is they breed, but I've been unable to find much information about this kind of Cory. Any experience with these guys, or knowledge of best practices, would be greatly appreciated!

~ Tensack
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: Breeding Corydoras(ln9) Loxozonus, "Dirty Bandit Cory"

Post by MarcW »

Firstly welcome to Planet Catfish!

I have had a group of these since April 2016, they have never shown any spawning behaviour unfortunately.

Other Cory species I have kept have spawned fairly frequently, with the exception of loxozonaus and C123. No idea why, they are all kept in the same water and fed the same diets.

On a more positive note, they don't seem to be a demanding species to keep or a picky eater!

Good luck with them and report back if you have any luck with a spawn!
Tensack
Location 1: Millsboro
Location 2: Delaware

Post by Tensack »

Thanks for the welcome MarcW!

I'm curious about a few things..

How many do you have?
What else do you have with them?
How large is the tank?

I'm wondering if they may be more likely to spawn in a species only tank with plenty of room!
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I had to go and count them, to be honest I've not paid much attention to them recently!

I have 4 males and 3 females, they are in a 36x18 inch footprint tank which is 12 inches high, it has an air driven matten filter and 4 inch cube sponge filter, as well as a small powerhead.

Also in the tank are my 6 F1 , and 4 nearly adult F1 Moenkhausia sp. Kogal 'Yellow', medium sized tetras.

Take a look here for the 4 breeding reports of on this site: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/my ... ies_id=779

A quick guess as to why they haven't spawned for me would be that they may need a period of cooler temperatures, mine have always been between 22-30c depending on the time of year, they may benefit from cooler water for a few weeks/months as part of a spawning attempt.

Good luck!
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

I have had some, for years They spawned once, in mops of black yarn. Few of the eggs hatched, however. No idea what the trigger was.
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

That's a good point, I have never kept them in a tank with any significant vegetation, nor added a spawning mop. @Tensack some sort of spawning mop would be worth a go. In the past (with other species) I've had success when I've made them from acrylic 'wool' used for knitting.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”