Fish ID: How rare is this fish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Got these recently for my 20G L planted shrimp tank. A friendly contest to see who can first correctly ID these little guys! (no prize, just an acknowledgement from us what an expert you are!)

photo.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

photo.JPG IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tucanoichthys Tucano, no common name yet.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Tanker, you are absolutely correct! You know your fish! Perhaps not that rare elsewhere in the country?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I've never seen nor heard of these locally. Beautiful little fish. I'd love to get some as I have ideal params for them.

Well done, Jessica.:thm:

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
After looking at the last picture that I posted, I think it might have ich. It also has a spot on a fin too. So I started treating with API's Super Ick Cure this morning. Hopefully it will prevent further infestations.

I stumbled upon these at Aquarium Adventures. Sign said new fish and I didn't recognize them. The manager wasn't there so couldn't find out if these will be stocked regularly. That would be nice since I'd like to eventually get a dozen or so. Maybe even try to breed them. Anyway, they had 5 so I bought all of them!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
After looking at the last picture that I posted, I think it might have ich. It also has a spot on a fin too. So I started treating with API's Super Ick Cure this morning. Hopefully it will prevent further infestations.

I stumbled upon these at Aquarium Adventures. Sign said new fish and I didn't recognize them. The manager wasn't there so couldn't find out if these will be stocked regularly. That would be nice since I'd like to eventually get a dozen or so. Maybe even try to breed them. Anyway, they had 5 so I bought all of them!

This species will be wild caught, unless someone locally is breeding them. So that means they will likely be seasonally available, as thankfully SA countries have laws in place to restrict collection so that they preserve the species. This species is only known to occur in the Rio Uaupes system in the upper Rio Negro basin, NW Brazil.

I don't know what the API product is like, but be very careful as characins are highly sensitive to any medication. The heat method may be safest. But make sure they have ich, I can't see it myself, and fish that are not stressed will fight this off most times.

Byron.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
The Ick Cure is malachite green plus nitrofurazone to combat secondary infection. API recommends 1/2 dose for sensitive fish, so that's what I'm doing. The last picture shows a spot on It's eye. You get a better resolution on a PC than on the the mobile app. At this point I think It's ich.

I called the store today and asked about availability and was told it was just a one time shipment. But they could look into special order if I wanted to do that. But he said due to seasonalilty it might be tough.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
The Ick Cure is malachite green plus nitrofurazone to combat secondary infection. API recommends 1/2 dose for sensitive fish, so that's what I'm doing.
Never use malachite green with characins. As for half strength, this is still a risk. And, it will not likely be effective anyway. Nitrofurazone is a bacteriostatic which in this instance may not have much benefit.

e last picture shows a spot on It's eye. You get a better resolution on a PC than on the the mobile app. At this point I think It's ich.
As to that spot, that is not ich as far as I can tell from the photo. I have had that on a fish. I believe someone suggested to me that it was a form of cataract, and it is untreatable. I have never known fish to die from this.

I called the store today and asked about availability and was told it was just a one time shipment. But they could look into special order if I wanted to do that. But he said due to seasonalilty it might be tough.
As I suspected. May have to wait for next year, but worth it. Beautiful fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store