Experiences with Leporinus and co ?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Mika
Location 1: Helsinki,Finland

Experiences with Leporinus and co ?

Post by Mika »

Headstanders are not common sight here in Finland. They are rarely seen in LFs.However there is in this season few available.There are controversial information around about their behaviour. Some say they bother fishes which stay still most of the time and some say don`t. Personal experiences with these guys are wellcome.I`m planning to keep them with Panaque L 191 and Synodontis brichardi in fast flowing river tank of 720 L.
Leporinus desmotes
Leporinus affinis
Leporinus fasciatus
Abramites hypselonotus
Anostomus ternetzi
Chilodus punctatus
Well i wish i was a catfish
swimmin in a oh, deep, blue sea (Muddy Waters, Catfish blues)
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Most Leporinus species tend to be fin-nippers/scale-eaters at some stage in their life.

You'd be much safer with either the Abramites or the Anostomus, or if you have room, both.
This although I really like L. affinis/maculatus group of these fishes, most are fin-nippers as juveniles, some appear to grow out of it, many don't. The fasciatus types I'd avoid though.

Teh Chilodus are absolutely peaceful. No problems with these at all.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

IME, the Chilodus can actually be more sensitive to rambunctious roommates, while the Leporinus types are usually the ones willing to dish out that stress. Years ago I had them in a maintenance tank with some pretty good sized frontosa. They had no problem whatsoever holding their own, if that gives you an idea. Good luck with your choices!

Barbie

Return to “Tank Talk”