Corydoras similis (smudge spot)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sandman76
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Outside Philadelphia

Corydoras similis (smudge spot)

Post by sandman76 »

I am upgrading to a nice size tank, and will have 8 Albino Cory's... and would also like to add 8 of the similis, smudge spot corydoras
. In the PC profile, it says they are "robust" can they coexist without eating all of the albino's food? Thanks.. It's a 3 way race between similis, adolfi, and the imitator cory for the 2nd school. Like how the similis looks the best, any info would be great.They will be going into a community tank, nothing even remotely should bother them. Thanks.
sandman76
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Corydoras similis (smudge spot)

Post by MatsP »

My experience with C. similis is that they are rather shy - robust probably refers to the body-shape. Mine didn't grow very much from when I bought them. I'd worry about the C. similis being outcompeted by the C. aeneus (albino) rather than the other way around.

--
Mats
christiansen
My images: 1
My cats species list: 8 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:69)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ploiesti
Location 2: Romania
Interests: rock climbing , 35 mm film photography and corydoras cats

Post by christiansen »

i have for 5 months now a group of similis in a species tank . they grew at least 1 cm since i got them.
from my experience i can tell u that they are a little shy when they feel my presence next to the tank . i haven't had problems feeding them , but they only compete with a juvenile bristlenose albino and some RCS .
they have remarcable colours , after they acomodate with the tank .
female
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... milis4.jpg
male
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... milis3.jpg
Last edited by christiansen on 21 May 2011, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
sandman76
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Outside Philadelphia

Post by sandman76 »

Thanks guys... I don't want shy catfish. Are the Adolfoi or imitator cory more active? These are the other 2 that I really like from a looks standpoint, and what's available to me to buy.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I would recommend - they are not shy, fairly easy to find and look nice [in my opinion and experience]

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

sandman76 wrote:Thanks guys... I don't want shy catfish. Are the Adolfoi or imitator cory more active? These are the other 2 that I really like from a looks standpoint, and what's available to me to buy.
have been quite active IME.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Vlacek
My cats species list: 3 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Czech rep.

Post by Vlacek »

Richard B wrote:
sandman76 wrote:Thanks guys... I don't want shy catfish. Are the Adolfoi or imitator cory more active? These are the other 2 that I really like from a looks standpoint, and what's available to me to buy.
have been quite active IME.

This is interesting. I'd expect adolfoi to be very similar to duplicareus which are IMO quite shy, not very active and never going to bright areas of the tank (comparing with pandas). Accidentally I'm looking for some more active cories than duplicareus and pre-selected trilineatus and similis. I'll probably go for trilineatus or adolfoi when you say similis are shy.
silvercory
Location 2: Bedfordshire, UK

Post by silvercory »

I have got some Similis Corys in a large mixed Cory tank. I saw them at a fish shop and had to have some. They seam to be quite rare I have not seen any for sale in my area for some time. I think that they are one of the prettiest Corys around I really like there markings. Yes they are a little shy but I have not had any problems with them. What I tend to do is when I feed my cats sinking pellets I put most of the food in the middle of the tank all the big boys charge in manly bronze and albino Aneus and Pandas then I put a smaller amount of food in the front corners of the tank for the shyer fish so my Similis, Sodalis etc. the shyer ones soon work out that I put the food in the corners just for them and the more confident corys just get on with the bulk of the food in the middle of the tank. I really enjoy the different behaviours of different corys and would not be without my Simils. In my experience Adolfs seam to be considerable more money I paid 15 pounds each for my Adolfoi! And after that I think they are not Adolfoi
At all but Duplicarus. Trilineatus or Sterbai would be a good choice if you are looking for more confident fish with nice markings

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”