Tarantulas that NEED to be bred in the hobby

getemtiger22

Arachnopeon
I am trying to start doing more breeding projects to help the hobby what species need to be bred or are not very common in the trade?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
P.tartuga, x sp blue. B.bicoloratum, T.Seladonia, O. diamantinensis. A. Gragini I’m probably missing many more tbh.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Also Phrixotrichus scrofa because they're basically a myth here.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
For what reason does any tarantula need to be bred in captivity? 🤔
At the very least to reduce collection pressure on the wild population. On the other side of the spectrum, to setup captive assurance colonies (not the best ones as most hobbyists have no interest in studbooks, but it's better than nothing).

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Selenocosmiinae sp. "Palawan Blonde". Beautiful T, never seen it available in any breeders website I follow.

Screenshot_20211114_123412_com.android.chrome.png

Not my picture. Credits to u/chetzzzz on another website.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. porteri, probably the T that most of us took way too much for granted. So what if it's a boring gray-coloured T with a pink carapace that is usually doing nothing 95% of the time ? It remains a classic and a lot of us wouldn't have dove into the hobby years ago if it wasn't for the most widely available T of all.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
There are many species that are in need of a population boom in the hobby. But the thing is that not every tarantula hobbyist wants to be a breeder and not every breeder is experienced enough for breeding certain species.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
There are many species that are in need of a population boom in the hobby. But the thing is that not every tarantula hobbyist wants to be a breeder and not every breeder is experienced enough for breeding certain species.
Very, very true. Some species can be very challenging to breed in captivity. Then you have the potential for animals to be misidentified as belonging to a similar but different species in the same genus, and we end up with accidental hybrids. Before people breed these animals they need to have done the research and know what they're doing.

getemtiger22

Arachnopeon
For what reason does any tarantula need to be bred in captivity? 🤔
I don’t want to just give to the hobby I want to give to zoos and the wild as well I’m looking to breed species that aren’t as common the hobby is good and bad mostly bad but also keeps some species alive, I completely understand your point

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
pokies for absolutely sure - that’s what i’m going to be focused on in the future and would love to network with others in the US who share this same goal - really love the idea of using the hobby to combat climate change and deforestation

also want to really want breed my E. olivacea as well and I’m also gearing up from breeding some H. tamulus scorpions as well - this must happen because i don’t want to ever be without this species ever again

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
H. chilensis

I guess it's hard to breed them because these things grow very, very slowly. Did I mention that they grow slowly? Holy cow. Mine is probably going to outlive me.

Also, T. cyanoleum seems like an awesome species that nobody has slings of.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
pokies for absolutely sure - that’s what i’m going to be focused on in the future and would love to network with others in the US who share this same goal - really love the idea of using the hobby to combat climate change and deforestation

also want to really want breed my E. olivacea as well and I’m also gearing up from breeding some H. tamulus scorpions as well - this must happen because i don’t want to ever be without this species ever again
I don't have nearly enough experience yet but I also plan to eventually start breeding Poecilotheria. I have 3 (possibly 4) females that I'd like to eventually pair. This coming spring I plan on breeding my P. cambridgei female to dip my toes into breeding tarantulas. I have a lot to learn but I'd like to contribute something to the hobby and help with conservation in that regard, eventually.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Agree wholeheartedly with the above suggestions.

Wholeheartedly agree with all those suggestionss.

I would add E. campestratus. Apart from the fossorial nature especially as slings that can be off putting for some, this is a perfect beginner tarantula and a handsome one too. They are on the whole very docile, yet feed very well.

Any Mexican , Chilean or Brazilian species should be organised into captive breeding programs so that the hobby can sustain its own demand, as some of the best (IMO) species come from these countries. I have a soft spot for little grizzled Chilean t’s!

If only some group in the hobby could focus on sustainable captive breeding programs of ‘hobby staple yet difficult to breed’ t’s, including sourcing males, maybe with someone with taxonomy expertise to avoid accidental hybrids. Well, I can dream!