Anyone have info on Pandinus of Tanzania?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi,

Just got some so called P. africanus from Tanzania, looking a lot like P.cavimanus but haven't managed to find a Key to this genus/subgenus!

Anyone here with experience of this species? The large male I got definitely has the indented claws typical of cavimanus - this is the only species with this indent?
The seller was selling P.cavimanus next door to these P. 'africanus' specimens (which is not a valid species) which were larger and with much more indented claws

Also seems to be some weird granulation in the indent, which I don't seem to see on other P.cavimanus pics, just variation?

EDIT: its also missing the teeth in the claws.. weird

crappy pics after getting home from the bug show!

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry for replying to my own thread, but problem is solved!

I'll describe how in case people search for this in the future!

1. Pandinus cavimanus apparently has two colour forms, Red and darker, this may be linked to the previous species P.militaris which is now a junior synonym of P.cavimanus. Perhaps P.militaris was one of the colour forms which was thought to be a different species.

2. From my searches apparently females can have the indent visible on my pics (male indent can get a lot more pronounced). The shape of the genital opening and pectines/teeth also suggest my specimen is a female! Lack of sexual dimorphism in the form of the claw 'tooth' also indicates a female.

All in all... quite a confusing start to getting this really angry species!

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had this scorpion that looked very similar from Kenya just north of Tanzania, I never could get a solid ID on it. It was very defensive, too bad I couldn't find a male. Do you think it's the same but only a lighter color?

It doesn't have the indentation you are looking at, I see that now. I wonder if they all have that though(?)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

thats a REALLY pretty scorpion!!

Pandinus of Tanzania:
P.cavimanus
P.militaris (= P.cavimanus)
P. viatoris

Pandinus of Kenya:
P.cavimanus
P. bellicosus
P.gregoryi
P.pallidus
P.viatoris

All I have is a key of species from Somalia/nearby, the real key is in a bloody expensive book I think :(

Is that specimen a female? if yes then maybe u could try to get a male cavimanus, if theyre not too expensive?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't expect the list to be that long for Kenya. It was a pretty big scorpion too. But too bad it died years ago, I was disappointed not to be able to breed it. I couldn't find any pics of P. pallidus, I'm curious about that one.