• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ketchupgetti

• Mmm, delicious authentic italian cuisine

Votes: 66 6.4%
  • Oh shit no, the struggle is real but no

Votes: 971 93.6%

• Total voters

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
NwqsK.jpg

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I have before, when I was very young. It's not bad, but I usually just make pasta with some simple tomato paste (or canned tomato sauce but from those tiny cans that you can buy where it's just tomato and sauce with not much else added to it when it was canned) and a tiny bit of onion like my Mexican Grandma used to make, when I need to do a minimal pasta kind of meal. So I'm not above eating some like what was shown in the OP but i'd have to be really up against it to do so nowadays and I'm thankfully not there atm.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it can be really good if you do it right.

Gotta have butter and some garlic powder. Other seasoning is optional but obviously you want to salt to taste. A bit of oregano works nicely. Some black pepper. The REAL trick is to not drown it in ketchup. Put JUST enough so that it spreads pretty thin and mixes with the butter. To the point that it looks like half of the pasta barely has any on it. Mix a little tabasco sauce in for that extra zing. Parmesan is optional but it can help a lot.

Call me crazy, but sometimes I'm in the mood for some ketchup noodles. It's lighter than the real stuff.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Yeah, it can be really good if you do it right.

Gotta have butter and some garlic powder. Other seasoning is optional but obviously you want to salt to taste. A bit of oregano works nicely. Some black pepper. The REAL trick is to not drown it in ketchup. Put JUST enough so that it spreads pretty thin and mixes with the butter. To the point that it looks like half of the pasta barely has any on it. Mix a little tabasco sauce in for that extra zing. Parmesan is optional but it can help a lot.

Call me crazy, but sometimes I'm in the mood for some ketchup noodles. It's lighter than the real stuff.

Exactly, it's not a replacement of a pasta sauce where you but like a whole jar of pasta sauce. It's not a situation where you put like the equivalent of a jar of ketchup in the pasta lmao. It's only a little amount and often with other stuff like butter, pepper and Parmesan.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly, it's not a replacement of a pasta sauce where you but like a whole jar of pasta sauce. It's not a situation where you put like the equivalent of a jar of ketchup in the pasta lmao. It's only a little amount and often with other stuff like butter, pepper and Parmesan.
Yeah, I really don't view it as a replacement for pasta sauce. I can eat plain ass garlic butter pasta as long as I have some seasoning. Ketchup is a nice addition to that as long is you're not dumping the entire bottle onto it. But I mean, I don't give a fuck what other people eat so go ahead and pour it on for all I care. I know most people are just poking fun but if you legitimately judge people for stuff like this then you've got some issues, lol.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I did that a couple times when I was a kid but that ain't cheap, it's just plain lazy. Canned tomatoes or passata, an onion and some fresh garlic with some dried basil & oregano (or fresh if it's on sale) will be the same price or less expensive than a bottle of heinz ketchup, you can also refrigerate what you don't use and keep it for another night.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I did that a couple times when I was a kid but that ain't cheap, it's just plain lazy. Canned tomatoes, an onion and some fresh garlic with some dried basil & oregano (or fresh if it's on sale) will be the same price or less expensive than a bottle of heinz ketchup, you can also refrigerate what you don't use and keep it for another night.

With the amount of ketchup you put on pasta, it's vastly cheaper than any pasta sauces. A bottle of ketchup is like €2-3 and last at least like 2 months or so in my fridge.

And like others says it's not to replace a tomato based tomato sauce since it's entirely different. Like I don't want an Italian style pasta sauce when I have Swedish meatballs with my elbow macaroni.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
With the amount of ketchup you put on pasta, it's vastly cheaper than any pasta sauces. A bottle of ketchup is like €2-3 and last at least like 2 months or so in my fridge.

And like others says it's not to replace a tomato based tomato sauce since it's entirely different. Like I don't want an Italian style pasta sauce when I have Swedish meatballs with my elbow macaroni.

If we're talking just for personal flavour preferences and not nutrition on a budget then sure.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
No, but I did have it a few times as a kid at my babysitters house. I guess it was something cheap she could whip up to feed us all (There were a few kids she took care of)

If I don't have pasta sauce, I'm not having pasta.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't use some ketchup on some mac and cheese every once in a while tho. It's not that often and I don't put it on the mac, but just dip the occasional piece in some ketchup.

krs

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big spaghetti fan. And ketchup really only belongs on fries in my mind. So no.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I sometimes have an unspeakably lazy snack of uncooked ramen with some sauce on it, and I've used ketchup before. It's about as good as it sounds.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
If we're talking just for personal flavour preferences and not nutrition on a budget then sure.

The amount of ketchup you have on pasta is like what's on these pics.

discussing nutritional value is just lol. You just add few grams of ketchup to pasta for some extra taste, like stated you dont mix in a jar of ketchup like you would with a tomato based pasta sauce. Seems like most people seem to think that's what's happening.

On these pics are very typical swedish meatballs and falu sausage, italian styled pasta sauce is not a good fit here at all. Esp if you stew the macaroni in milk.

DSC02556-01-1300x1300.jpeg

stuvade-5_174302602.jpg

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
A fresh tomato sauce is an easy thing to put together, so no.

I will do butter or olive oil and garlic tho. And pepper and hot sauce

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
that doesn't seem good. idk what single ingredient would go best with noodles but it's not ketchup.

i'd much rather eat hawaiian mac but idk if people count that as a struggle meal.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I know some people that will put ketchup on their pasta that already has a sauce like bolognese or a creamy pasta carbonara. I won't go that far tho

And these people are full grown adults in their 40's - 50's

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The amount of ketchup you have on pasta is like what's on these pics.

discussing nutritional value is just lol. You just add few grams of ketchup to pasta for some extra taste, like stated you dont mix in a jar of ketchup like you would with a tomato based pasta sauce. Seems like most people seem to think that's what's happening.

DSC02556-01-1300x1300.jpeg

stuvade-5_174302602.jpg

That's not what I meant, I meant that if it was your only meal because time we're tough, than it'd be better to spend the extra $1 or so to get a lot more nutrition from the meal if you could only afford a cheap meal like pasta I'm not saying that eating ketchup is gonna kill ya lol, there's nothing wrong with eating ketchup.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
That's not what I meant, I meant that if it was your only meal because time we're tough, than it'd be better to spend the extra $1 or so to get a lot more nutrition from the meal if you could only afford a cheap meal like pasta I'm not saying that eating ketchup is gonna kill ya lol, there's nothing wrong with eating ketchup.

Ketchup on pasta is almost ingrained into our cuisine here, i don't think anyone except students on a very low budget consider eating just pasta + ketchup daily. It's something i eat 1-2 times a week or so. My parents prefer Heinz Chili Sauce.

b64386c47fb8902c73916f8a298505bc.jpg

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Ketchup on pasta is almost ingrained into our cuisine here, i don't think anyone except students on a very low budget consider eating just pasta + ketchup daily. It's something i eat 1-2 times a week or so. My parents prefer Heinz Chili Sauce.

b64386c47fb8902c73916f8a298505bc.jpg
I'd try that. Don't know if I've seen it in stores here.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Apperantly we are doing pretty much everything thats unaccetable to Italians except not adding salt to the water, or putting the pasta into cold water.

But apperantly it's more normal not salting the pasta water in the UK and US, i would consider that's worse than ketchup lol.

Rinsing or cooling off your pasta i think is a must if you are making a pasta salad or putting it in a pasta bake so it doesnt continue to cook, or cook the other ingredients before you put it in the oven.

te0felhycfg81.jpg

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
No but I'll cook up some macaronis and add some butter and maybe a little cheese to it and gladly eat that

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's a ketchup so if you have used it with pasta, then you have had pasta with ketchup and enjoyed it.

I've never tried the chilli verison on pasta, I've tried the original multiple times when I was younger and I definitely enjoyed it. I didn't realise it was such a staple of swedish cuisine, I just personally much prefer a homemade pasta sauce if I'm gonna eat pasta.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Do they heat the ketchup or just dump it on cold? Fucking hell.

Either way, no, I don't even use ketchup as a condiment, there's always a better choice.

Ketchup isn't even a cheap option! I winced last time I noticed the price of a bottle of Heinz at a supermarket.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Apperantly we are doing pretty much everything thats unaccetable to Italians except not adding salt to the water, or putting the pasta into cold water.

But apperantly it's more normal not salting the pasta water in the UK and US, i would consider that's worse than ketchup lol.

Rinsing or cooling off your pasta i think is a must if you are making a pasta salad or putting it in a pasta bake so it doesnt continue to cook, or cook the other ingredients before you put it in the oven.

te0felhycfg81.jpg

lots of weird stuff in there for sure...

but people put oil in the water? what?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Just give me olive oil and some salt and pepper. ffs. no.

We never have ketchup in our pantry. Ever.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I love ketchup, like, a LOT, but only stuff on "regular" stuff like burgers, fries, hotdogs, etc.

But I've never used it as a straight up sauce for pasta or anything like that. Like, just buy pasta sauce, it's sold everywhere that sells ketchup to my knowledge.

Closest to that would be if I make mac & cheese with some sausage, I'll have some ketchup to the side to occasionally dip a slice of sausage in.

I had a friend who would just squirt ketchup directly in his mac & cheese and mix it in which grossed me out. I'm not someone who's OCD about the food on my plate touching, but something about just mixing it straight in just didn't work at all for me.