• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who am i really?

oviparous

Bought this plant some time ago as Staurogyne sp. "brown", but read somewhere that it could be a Hygrophila.
It looks a bit like a Hygrophila, but the growth pattern is like a Staurogyne.
Left "Brown", right "repens":
zyQEOzA.jpg

0Apvsl6.jpg

From the top:
9bkoRBx.jpg

My usual answer -(sorry)........you will need flowers, to correctly ID the plant. Both Hygrophila and Staurogyne are not that difficult to get to flower in a high-humidity-sphere (= Half a cola bottle) over a standard flowerpot in the window-sill.
Staurogyne(s) and Hygrophila(s) are really difficult to tell apart, especially from pictures.
There are by far more Hygrophila than Staurogyne offered for sale.....so it is tempting (for some) to "highten interest" by choosing to market a plant as the more unusual genus.
(-and some just take ANY chance, to get on pictures, huh ???)

H all,
Both Hygrophila and Staurogyne are not that difficult to get to flower in a high-humidity-sphere (= Half a cola bottle) over a standard flowerpot in the window-sill. Staurogyne(s) and Hygrophila(s) are really difficult to tell apart, especially from pictures.
Mick is right, flowers don't lie. Both genera belong to the same family (<"Acanthaceae">), so they aren't botanically that different in vegetative morphologically.

There are lots of threads with <"Hygrophila flowers">, but this one has a <"flowering Staurogyne">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Mick and Darrel!
Now the question remains, how can i identify the plant if I grow the flower?

Did this plant never passed through your hands Mick? It's relatively easy to grow, but the emersed form doesn't Look to nice.

You would be surprised, how many species, sub-species, varieties, cultivars.......and you name it.....that goes around within Hygrophila (and there are "new" Staurogynes, too). Same is true of Echinodorus, Rotala, Limnophila, Pogostemon, Chryptocoryne......(get the idea???)..........
You also must remember, that same plant (can) look very different, growing in different environments - your plant would most likely not look totally alike, if I grew it.........leaves are therefore not good/safe for ID - which is why botanists determine by flower.
Several quite similar looking plants have"passed through my hands", yes, but from the above you will now know, why I am quite reluctant to give a defenite ID from pic.s of leaves. There ate several kandidates; too many to choose from.
Like Farrell said, somewhere - it's often quite easy to tell, what a plant is NOT.....but also very often hard/impossible to tell exactly what it actually IS !!!!
- Sorry I can't do magic ......:arghh::oops:

If you get a flower, post a (close up) pic. here at UKAPS and I can probaply tell you (with high certainty) if it is Hyg. or Stau.

When/if you get a flower, post a (close up) pic. here at UKAPS. I think I can (with high certainty) tell you if it is Stauro. or Hygro. then.......

Back