Linux turns 23

iltaf

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Its actually Richard Stallman, not Staffman - and it was actually Richard Stallman and then Linus Torvalds, not Linus Torvalds and then Richard Stallman.

image001.jpg

Thank you for correction, for me I love both of them as they have contributed alot to the Linux community. Now I think Ubuntu will make it to the lay-man PCs as it has te user-friendliness feature. I have played with many flavors of linux but Puppy Linux ws da best that ran over my P3 system :)

iltaf

Ubuntu is the future of Linux for everybody as it is the fastest growing distribution due to:

1. huge software availability
2. huge community providing support
3. extremely user-friendly

Ubuntu is based on Debian ( probably the biggest flavor due to its huge development community).

ali-raj

I remember creating debian from ground up , reading all kinds of books to tinker linux and hardware. feeling super man among my windows addicted friends.
Last one was arch linux for me. I am thinking of setting up a set of system with linux (as a home brew render farm, as it runs blender3d) , which one you guys think is best, No need of eye candy ubuntu.

now its all gone. Only windows and some OSx.

By the way, i always laughed at the apple users, since people thought of them as something out of this world, and we knew deep down, that they were bound to set of rules. Still, atleast in Pakistan, apple users are considered supreme.

ali-raj

By the way, Hats off to Dennis Ritchie, without whom, none of this windows, osx or linux was possible. A man more precious then steve jobs.

Admiral

Question for IT experts. Do think u Linux will replace Windows as an OS for basic users in future?

There is another important point that I forgot to mention in my previous comment;

Linux is being developed/enhanced at a very high speed, consequently we see a new upgrade every 6-12 months (Ubuntu upgrade cycle 6 months, Fedora 6-12 months, SUSE <12 months and so on).

This is very nice as far as introducing new capabilities/features, removing bugs etc., is concerned; however package system creates a problem when dependency-requirement is often broken by certain drivers/applications/programs due to unavailability of packages of certain version in releases of recent past.

Example: I bought Intel's Haswell processor (2957U), and replaced the old one with this new cpu; the OS in this system's hard-disk was Ubuntu 12.04 which has all necessary Graphics drivers for iGPU in the old processor.
However, Haswell graphics support is not available in Ubuntu 12.04, but it is available in 13.10, 14.04 and later releases.
Now, If I upgrade U12.04 to 14.04, many of system libraries/packages installed will be automatically upgraded, and will break the dependency check in my custom applications (which want a very specific version of a library). This would ruin the system.
I spent whole night trying to compile mesa drivers (opengl enabled), but dri3 is definitely incompatible with 12.04
:(:( and now any application which needs opengl 3.0 or newer, doesn't run on this system.

A.R.E.S

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Thank you for correction, for me I love both of them as they have contributed alot to the Linux community. Now I think Ubuntu will make it to the lay-man PCs as it has te user-friendliness feature. I have played with many flavors of linux but Puppy Linux ws da best that ran over my P3 system :)
Beauty of Linux is in its performance. Ubuntu and others are good but they compromise on performance to increase user-friendly-ness. I've found CentOS as the best Linux distribution, and then Oracle Unbreakable Linux. Both use the Linux kernal from Redhat.

UsmanSial

Senator (1k+ posts)
There is another important point that I forgot to mention in my previous comment;

Linux is being developed/enhanced at a very high speed, consequently we see a new upgrade every 6-12 months (Ubuntu upgrade cycle 6 months, Fedora 6-12 months, SUSE <12 months and so on).

This is very nice as far as introducing new capabilities/features, removing bugs etc., is concerned; however package system creates a problem when dependency-requirement is often broken by certain drivers/applications/programs due to unavailability of packages of certain version in releases of recent past.

Example: I bought Intel's Haswell processor (2957U), and replaced the old one with this new cpu; the OS in this system's hard-disk was Ubuntu 12.04 which has all necessary Graphics drivers for iGPU in the old processor.
However, Haswell graphics support is not available in Ubuntu 12.04, but it is available in 13.10, 14.04 and later releases.
Now, If I upgrade U12.04 to 14.04, many of system libraries/packages installed will be automatically upgraded, and will break the dependency check in my custom applications (which want a very specific version of a library). This would ruin the system.
I spent whole night trying to compile mesa drivers (opengl enabled), but dri3 is definitely incompatible with 12.04
:(:( and now any application which needs opengl 3.0 or newer, doesn't run on this system.

Thanks for your detailed reply. What i can understand from your answer is that there is still a way to go before Linux becomes an OS of choice for the basic users. As an expert you can overcome these difficulties but for a basic user like me, i might not have any choice other than going for Windows.

dilavar

By the way, Hats off to Dennis Ritchie, without whom, none of this windows, osx or linux was possible. A man more precious then steve jobs.

You can't compare the too. Dennis Ritchie was a thoroughbred programmer. Steve Jobs was a lousy engineer albeit a genius Entrepreneur.

uetian

Senator (1k+ posts)

For Ubuntuers, here is a little script that adds Urdu Fonts (Jameel Noori Nastaleeq, Naskh, Nafees, etc.) to your Ubuntu machine automatically.
Download it from here, run it (
if it opens in editor instead of execution, read instruction here); and restart your Ubuntu to enable the Urdu Fonts system-wide.

If you need more Fonts in it available, let me know, I will add those TTFs to the repository.

dilavar

There is no comparison. One is a creator , other is just show off.

Brather do not live in a cocoon. Steve Jobs gave a lot to this world and so did Dennis. They had their own very separate domains. Wozniak was the Engineer behind Apple in its early days but it was Jobs who ran the company and later made Apple the biggest company in the world. Entrepreneurship brings with it lots of money and fame. It has innovation at its core but technology though essential is not the only aspect of it. One has to have a vision, be able to see where the 'puck is going to be' and take calculated risks. Enterprise is also encouraged in our religion due to the very fact that it is the basis of human development and progress.

ali-raj

Brather do not live in a cocoon. Steve Jobs gave a lot to this world and so did Dennis. They had their own very separate domains. Wozniak was the Engineer behind Apple in its early days but it was Jobs who ran the company and later made Apple the biggest company in the world. Entrepreneurship brings with it lots of money and fame. It has innovation at its core but technology though essential is not the only aspect of it. One has to have a vision, be able to see where the 'puck is going to be' and take calculated risks. Enterprise is also encouraged in our religion due to the very fact that it is the basis of human development and progress.

Actually, I don't go for the Flashy stuff. I am more into Rough Tough, Always Ready To Work style of things.

What steve job gave to world is, nothing more then (Kahin ke eiant, kahin ka rora, bhan mati ney qunba jora). Invention was never his core value (BB was made by woznik, not jobs)

So your whole post is irrelevant for me.