Should I get Purple or Red Montipora Capricornis?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torn between these 2 but can't afford both. Which one grows faster and easier to care for ? I heard the Purple needs more light?

My tank is 75gal, 5 months old and has 2 x Kessil A360we. Thank everyone and I wish you happy holidays!.

lg_46901_Red_Candy_Cap.jpg

lg_89221_ORAPurpleCapricornis.jpg

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Cap coral requires moderate to high water flow and bright lighting (PAR 250-400) to maintain its color. T5's, Metal Halides, or LED's can all grow montipora corals when the proper PAR levels are provided. We recommend a 14-20K color spectrum for best coloration.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are both amazing , just make sure you give them plenty of room when placing it. I like both , and am currently growing out a starburst cap , I just grew out 2 monster ORA orange cap which is what the top pic would be and boy are they stunning and grow fast ! They can take over town . Pic the one which will contrast the most to your other colors imho

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept several different red, green and purple M. capricornis (each actual animal varies to some extent) but i would say (general statement i know) that green was always the easiest to get to thrive, then red and actually purple was the hardest. All will grow and survive under reasonable conditions but getting purple to thrive does need pretty decent and stable conditions, green and red have always been less fussy for me.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept several different red, green and purple M. capricornis (each actual animal varies to some extent) but i would say (general statement i know) that green was always the easiest to get to thrive, then red and actually purple was the hardest. All will grow and survive under reasonable conditions but getting purple to thrive does need pretty decent and stable conditions, green and red have always been less fussy for me.

Thank you and @NanoDJS very much. I think I'll get the Red since it's easier and will contrast the best in my tank. Purple looks nice but they might blend and become invisible into the blue LED light imo.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do it all again, no monti’s in an acro tank. Constantly having to break pieces off and scraping it as it grows upwards and kill the base of my acros.

pain in the butt. I can barely give it away when I chip 3-4 sq inch off.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you were closer.....I would give you all the red you wanted. I agree with @CivicS14 though.....I have spent the last 3 months trying to remove my montis. They grow extremely quick and take up a ton of space....especially the encrusting types.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back