Eel ID

Hoochee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was sold as a snowflake eel, but pretty sure it’s not - eyes not yellow which is a typical clear indicator, and it’s about 15” long and doesn’t have expected coloring. I know there are anomalies but don’t think this is one. Thoughts?

Indian mud? Mediterranean?

34CD477C-D273-4FDA-94E8-C01E0B231B02.jpeg

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it won’t grow to 8 feet long and bite someone’s arm off. I’m sorry, I know I’m not helping but I couldn’t resist.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I most definitely found it!! It’s often sold as a snowflake eel but really is an Indian eel. Sorry for the posts you got me curious. They live in freshwater/brackish waters and I’m telling you right now they aren’t beginner species. Take it back or donate it to an aquarium lol they aren’t fully saltwater animals and when young live in freshwater.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This was sold as a snowflake eel, but pretty sure it’s not - eyes not yellow which is a typical clear indicator, and it’s about 15” long and doesn’t have expected coloring. I know there are anomalies but don’t think this is one. Thoughts?

Indian mud? Mediterranean?

34CD477C-D273-4FDA-94E8-C01E0B231B02.jpeg
Gymnotorax richardsonii AKA Richardson Moray. Eats crabs and small fish and not a beginner eel by any means

OP
OP
H

Hoochee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gymnotorax richardsonii AKA Richardson Moray. Eats crabs and small fish and not a beginner eel by any means

I find very little about them related to reef tanks, but a good bit in more scientific or similar publications.

Why not a beginner eel? Personal experience or do you have an online resource?

It’s been an excellent resident the last ~2 months, voracious appetite (follows what I read about them). No problems at all.

Full grown the Richardson is supposed to be about 12+ inches, he’s pushing about 15. That’s why thought Indian mud, or less likely a Mediterranean.

TIA

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I most definitely found it!! It’s often sold as a snowflake eel but really is an Indian eel. Sorry for the posts you got me curious. They live in freshwater/brackish waters and I’m telling you right now they aren’t beginner species. Take it back or donate it to an aquarium lol they aren’t fully saltwater animals and when young live in freshwater.

Those are super-common in the trade, so that I think that is what it is. They did get the salinity thing a bit backwards: they imply these eels "can" live in full saltwater when adults, when actually, they "cannot" live in pure freshwater as adults. Many people have bought these for their FW tanks, only to find that they stop eating and die as they grow. They do best in full seawater.

Jay

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those are super-common in the trade, so that I think that is what it is. They did get the salinity thing a bit backwards: they imply these eels "can" live in full saltwater when adults, when actually, they "cannot" live in pure freshwater as adults. Many people have bought these for their FW tanks, only to find that they stop eating and die as they grow. They do best in full seawater.

Jay
You know I did see some conflicting answers on what type of water they live in lol and going back it maybe doesn’t sound as clear as I thought it would be. The second link I posted is correct then.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many brackish fish, if not all in some lfs, sold as fresh water fish. And as they mature if not acclimated to higher sg will not live long. Some of these fish include the archer, the mono, the green spot and figure 8 puffers, and even the molly, Some of these like acclimated to full salt frequently and while better than full fresh, will also decrease their lifespan. Mollies do best in 1.010-1.015, and even breed in the wild in as high as 1.017.

That is the eel @AydenLincoln identified.

OP
OP
H

Hoochee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indian mud was one I identified in my original post. Seemed the best match. I’ll go with that given he’s larger than a Richardson.

The Indian Mud is known as a freshwater Snowflake Eel, but that’s not how this was sold.

Thanks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back