What is in the box?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep those are them.These fish seem to undergo quite a range of appearance changes as they mature.I took a good look at the photos on Planet Catfish and the smaller ones pictured look like these so I'm going with the notion that these are juveniles with quite a bit of growing and morphing to do......and, without further ado
20200318_143536.jpg20200318_143536.jpg
I agree that the price was quite steep but I bit the bullet on one.It arrived a bit beat up which was a disappointment considering the price but nothing too drastic.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Yep those are them.These fish seem to undergo quite a range of appearance changes as they mature.I took a good look at the photos on Planet Catfish and the smaller ones pictured look like these so I'm going with the notion that these are juveniles with quite a bit of growing and morphing to do......and, without further ado
View attachment 1409647View attachment 1409647
I agree that the price was quite steep but I bit the bullet on one.It arrived a bit beat up which was a disappointment considering the price but nothing too drastic.
This is infact a Platydoras species, not a Lithodoras dorsalis. By seing its large scutes, this is Platydoras costatus. Iamfish Iamfish had Platydoras helicophilus if I recall, it had shallower scutes

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This is infact a Platydoras species, not a Lithodoras dorsalis. By seing its large scutes, this is Platydoras costatus. Iamfish Iamfish had Platydoras helicophilus if I recall, it had shallower scutes
I've heard of that species.I think I'm going to have to give somebody a call.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Nice pick up!

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I would agree that this does not appear at first to be a Lithadoras, however my concern at present would be over the size of the fish. If it is currently 8" long then the size throws me a little as this would indicate a full grown very large example of costatus ( the unstriped defined species). Would be interesting to know where it was caught.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for chiming in Iamfish Iamfish and I agree that my fish looks a lot like yours.Then there is this,one of the lithodoras photos on PlanetCatfish.
8.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all. Yeah... Iamfish Iamfish 's doradid is different.

The fish does strike me as a Platydoras / raphael kind too.

The adult Lithodoras appear to usually have around 18-19 bony hooked scutes along the lateral line. Krich's fish have around 30 or more, hard to count. IDK... I'd be a bit shocked if they can lose so many scutes as they grow up... or actually any at all, perhaps rather gain a few...

The fish in the PCF pic posted by Krich is much older than these guys.

It looks like pic #5 features a younger litho (about 17 scutes I can count), which doesn't look like the fish in question (not to mention the head shape which is obviously different in the lithos, more round, blunter):

5.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fishman Dave

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Victor you mentioned a contact who has been holding a group of Lithodoras at a facility in New Jersey.Why do you suppose they are just sitting on them rather than making them available to hobbyists?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
He imports some of Oliver's fish into the USA for the New England Cichlid Association, as a hobby, on a side. He has brought in my 3 lithos from Oliver last Dec (after I've been pestering him and Oliver for 6 months) and now needs to send them to me but IDK when he would do it, he seems to be his own man and answers one in 6 emails, sometimes 6 months later!

He is not selling any fish, Oliver does to the NECA members (of which I had to become), and he only picks up and imports the fish by ground.

BTW bacu / rock-bacu appears to me a very non-descript name used for many doradids in SA's various countries, so it doesn't equate L. dorsalis by any means... I mean it probably could but not necessarily.

Reactions: TheWolfman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store