Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Rhinodoras dorbignyi fish and picture credited to Mark Goh
Mark Goh Rhinodoras Dorbignyi.jpg
Wow. Thank you for this! Never paid attention to Rhinodoras. As you said, I thought they were smaller and rather unremarkable catfish. I wonder if this specimen among the R. dorbignyi is like what we have seen with say irwini - some are striking back and yellow while almost all are light brown and dark brown.
Hi Viktor, sorry I started this thread as I did not want to derail Egon's Niger thread as it is a great thread and I didn't want to accidentally detract from it further by referencing the Rhinodoras more there.

As I said in the Niger thread, I am almost positive that Planetcatfish originally had the Dorbignyi length at around 9-10 inches SL and only recently moved up to 19 inches SL. I've kept them twice since starting on MFK back in 2007. I had gotten a Rhinodoras back when I got my Trachycorystes. He hid often and being young I bored quickly and rehomed him. Then I got 3 beauties that where around 6 inches from Wes I believe in 2018 and I still have 2 of them. The Trachy's who remain unpredictable in my care engulfed one by it's head up to and beyond it's gills and suffocated it despite there being no way for the Trachy to actually swallow the whole fish. It's specifically the female who on occasion enters a very predatory state which I believe maybe linked to her either coming into or trying to come into breeding condition when certain other environmental factors trigger her. But I digress, my apologies.

Anyway the three I got from Wes where very orange and each had a very distinct patterning, some of spots others like in Mark Gohs specimen a worm like pattern similar to the worm pearls of certain Flowerhorns except of course with no sheen just a dull brown or black. Unfortunately as they aged they darkened for me, I believe because of their surrounding environment. They are fairly reclusive but slightly less so when they have the company of their own kind in my experience and that company has to be their own species in my belief. They are housed with the Trachy pair, the larger Platydoras "Maroni, the 2 Lithodoras, a Pseudacanthicus serratus, a Cranoglanis multiradiatus, a Kamfa and some Puntioplites proctozystron. They don't ever seem to hide together but they seem to give each other confidence when food is introduced. At which time they have no issue butting heads with the Trachys and my Cranoglanis which are avid head butters when it comes to food. As a more manageable sized Dora I had hoped in the near future to try and get them and some Gallagehri and maybe even Doras micropoeus and get them comfortable enough to breed. My two are probably 10 maybe slightly more inches, slightly less robust bodied than the Lithodoras but not by much. Their mouths are very reminiscent in my opinion of Giraffe cats and they can take quite sizable pellets.

In my opinion they are worthwhile consideration but as of late I have had a weakness for Doradidae in general.

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
Seems like an interesting cat that grows on you after awhile. My LFS had juveniles in stock last month but I passed up a golden opportunity to snag one for my 150g grow out. Good luck, I’ll look for updates.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Until today I had no idea they got so big! I have a pair of rhinodoras dorbigny that I got a year and a half ago @ 5" TL, they have grown to around 7" TL now. They are in a 40G tank with a 4" anadoras grypus and 2-6" notoglanidium macrostoma 'dwarf' giraffe cats. Wondering how large and how old is the specimen shown above? It will likely take a few years before mine will grow to a problem size for this tank. Mine huddle together in the same spot in the driftwood with no issues whatsoever, nice! They are not piscivorous at all as they also share the tank with a large shoal of unmolested guppies. I've always liked doradid's having kept and sold when too big, the larger varieties such as oxydoras , megaladoras and pterodoras species. They were faster growing than my current varieties, trying to keep medium sized fish that I can keep for life. Mine have lots of orange pigmentation, never seen during the day, very shy, the only photo thus far is when I sneak up on them after feeding and lights out and spook 'em with camera flash..
R. Dorabigny.jpg

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
koltsixx koltsixx these are gorgeous and the whole genus is on my wish list. Thanks for great photo. doradids in general are great tank fish, looking forward to receiving that new book thats on pre-order right now

• Love
Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thank you very much guys, I appreciate your responses and am happy if the thread helped inspire some love for these great cats. Just want to make sure everyone knows though the pic and the Dorbignyi belong to Mark Goh. I have never had the pleasure of talking with him but he is a member of Catfish of the World Facebook group. Here's another pic of his beautiful Dorbignyi's and a link to one of his posts in the Facebook group.
Rhinodoras Dorbignyi Mark Goh.jpg

Seems like an interesting cat that grows on you after awhile. My LFS had juveniles in stock last month but I passed up a golden opportunity to snag one for my 150g grow out. Good luck, I’ll look for updates.
Thanks, now I just gotta get some nice pics of mine but Marks put mine to shame. Luckily they are in my experience more readily available than they where just a couple of years ago. Wes/Rare Fish, Kevin at TangledUpInCichlids and Aqua-Imports have all had these guys on their list in recent history just to name a few. So hopefully you'll see them in your LFS again in the near future.

Until today I had no idea they got so big! I have a pair of rhinodoras dorbigny that I got a year and a half ago @ 5" TL, they have grown to around 7" TL now. They are in a 40G tank with a 4" anadoras grypus and 2-6" notoglanidium macrostoma 'dwarf' giraffe cats. Wondering how large and how old is the specimen shown above? It will likely take a few years before mine will grow to a problem size for this tank. Mine huddle together in the same spot in the driftwood with no issues whatsoever, nice! They are not piscivorous at all as they also share the tank with a large shoal of unmolested guppies. I've always liked doradid's having kept and sold when too big, the larger varieties such as oxydoras , megaladoras and pterodoras species. They were faster growing than my current varieties, trying to keep medium sized fish that I can keep for life. Mine have lots of orange pigmentation, never seen during the day, very shy, the only photo thus far is when I sneak up on them after feeding and lights out and spook 'em with camera flash..
View attachment 1481089
I'm not positive on their adult size, I'm only going by what Planetcatfish has now as their adult SL. Mine are only about 10 inches and nowhere near as chubby or colorful as Mark Goh's. I took a quick look back at his posts in the Facebook group and it looks like he's had them since 2016 and they where originally around 5 inches I believe. I tried loading some of the comments to see the size of the Dorbignyi in the later pics but they wouldn't load for me. So I don't know how big his Rhino's are now. I provided a link above so hopefully everyone can see more of his pics of the Rhino's.

Mine are reclusive but they will come out to eat when the lights are on and on occasion have eaten from the surface but not reliably like my Trachycorystes or Lithodoras which are bold enough to be handfed at the surface. After my fish have been feeding reliably I use sinking pellets soaked in Garlic Guard and slowly drop them in the same corner of the tank. Eventually the cats learn where to go when they smell food and start swimming up on their own to try and usurp the pellets from each other. Lol The hardest cats to get to come up that I've kept are Yarrelli but they do get close to the surface.

I have two Mega's, a Gallagheri and two Tellenus cristinae in another tank as well as a 8 inch Platydoras "Maroni". I love Doras because they look so prehistoric and are safe in my experience to put with fairly small fish and witnessing a combination like that is just cool to me. I just wish most didn't hide so much. The Dorbignyi will rest in the semi-visible space under driftwood occasionally the Cristinae, Mega's and Platydoras never make an appearance unless there's food and even then the Mega's and Cristinae will sometimes not come out. My big eyed Litho's though they don't hide, they often patrol and when not they lay in the open usually on top of some stone cave I made, lying on the shale stone tops.

koltsixx koltsixx these are gorgeous and the whole genus is on my wish list. Thanks for great photo. doradids in general are great tank fish, looking forward to receiving that new book thats on pre-order right now
Thanks bro, I'm really glad if I helped introduce you to the Rhinodoras. I agree as I said above I love that prehistoric look combined with that calm demeanor. Can I ask what's the name of the book, I've been thinking about picking up some good fish reading material.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Rhinodoras are on my list of fish to get as well. Very nice addition kolt. The pic looks like a big fish. Old fish? Wonder if it’s a large caught fish? Polys are somewhat are like this where small fish won’t get as big as breeding adult fish. Atleast that’s what I remember.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Rhinodoras are on my list of fish to get as well. Very nice addition kolt. The pic looks like a big fish. Old fish? Wonder if it’s a large caught fish? Polys are somewhat are like this where small fish won’t get as big as breeding adult fish. Atleast that’s what I remember.
I believe he said it’s not his, grew to this size from 5” in the last 5 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store