Need a good algae eater? Try a rainbow cichlid.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I have a 3D background in my 150g, which had brown and hair algae. It is a real PITA to clean. I put my rainbow in and it was clean in a week. I wish I had before and after pics. I knew they typically do this in the wild, but never thought of him cleaning my tank.
But unfortunately I had to move the little guy, because he was dark (stressed for some reason). He is much happier in my 36g now front.
Maybe when he is full grown I'll give it a try again.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

FastFisher5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2015
PA
And a colorful little cleaner it is lol. I may have to give a Rainbow Cichlid a try sometime. Looks beautiful and sounds like a great fish

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
And a colorful little cleaner it is lol. I may have to give a Rainbow Cichlid a try sometime. Looks beautiful and sounds like a great fish
Thanks, they are great little cichlids.

The only thing is they can't eat algae off the glass. Great fish for a peaceful community.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thanks, they are great little cichlids.

The only thing is they can't eat algae off the glass. Great fish for a peaceful community.
what is the latin/greek for these guys? I have heard "rainbow" several times, not sure which one is the TRUE rainbow cichlid though

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The scientific name of Rainbow cichlid is Archocentrus multispinosa. Most Rainbow I saw in LFS have drab brown color. Lee has the most colorful strain from Nicaraguan that is brightly red and yellow. I would love to grab a few if I can find the Nic strain. They will look good with my cryptoheros species which are closely related. I never know that they will relish on hair algae, that will be a bonus benefit.

[/QUOTE]

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
The scientific name of Rainbow cichlid is Archocentrus multispinosa. Most Rainbow I saw in LFS have drab brown color. Lee has the most colorful strain from Nicaraguan that is brightly red and yellow. I would love to grab a few if I can find the Nic strain. They will look good with my cryptoheros species which are closely related. I never know that they will relish on hair algae, that will be a bonus benefit.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have see pics of the nics, and they are gorgeous. They probably would do well. Mine was with a HRP and no issues.

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Looks to be a very nice tank, I'm always a sucker fish for natural looking setups. Nice cichlid too.

How big is the tank? Could you take a full tank pic and post it?

FastFisher5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2015
PA
What kinds of Mollies are those? Mollies are my favorite smaller fish, I have 5 adults and about 20 growing babies schooling around them lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store