Mesoheros Gephyrum?

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
So are ornatus and gephyrum separate species, or are the names synonymous?
I think the battle still rages on, on this topic... from the angry threads on cichlidforum and chatting with Willem heijn on fbook. It would seem they are separate species based on limited collection points. What was purchased as cf ornatus is now listed as gephyrum... so atleast I know what’s in my tank

Reactions: mrrobxc

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The Cichlidroom companion (cichlidae.com) lists them as two separate species.
I consider that site to be on the cutting edge of whatever happens with cichlids from around the world.
If you belong to the American Cichlid Association, it is included as part of your membership fee.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

Kaituli

Feeder Fish
Mar 13, 2020
Greetings from Finland :)
I just bought 2 fish that were sold to me as mesoheros atromaculatus.
Then I tried to find more info about them and found pictures that do not match at all.
I did found video of mesoheros gephyrum and I was sure my fish are those, but then I found this thread and another video of mesoheros ornatus. Now I'm so confused.

I did took video on my fish, it's not very good video, but can you tell me what fish do I have?
They are around 7-8 cm or 3 inch.
There are also 5 vieja argantea and 3 carpintis.

Thank you.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
I believe I like the Ornatum over the Gephrum, I here that they are the same cichlid and also hear that they are different, if so I believe it is the Ornatum that I like best based on color...

Kaituli

Feeder Fish
Mar 13, 2020
Seem's like I'm in the right track with you guys.
So do those blue spots eventually grow?

I mean if fish is indentified as ornatus when it is young does it grow those blue spots when older and loose yellowish backcolour?
Maybe it's easier to me to explain with videos.

Young ornatus:

and gephyrum:

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
There is a lot of confusion about ornatum and gephyrum. Both fish shown in the above videos are what are considered M. gephyrum. Like any cichlid, they vary in color. Some are more yellow, some are more blue. It depends a lot also on your lighting.

Kaituli

Feeder Fish
Mar 13, 2020
What I have found in 24h if they are oranatum or gephyrum or cichlasoma atromaculatus.
They are all rare, but oranatum and gephyrum are super rare.
They are mixed when they are young when they look very similar.
Maybe at some point ornatum will change colour and become gephyrum.
I dont know, but I have 2 7cm of them and I will have 3 more.
If I get any smarter or the matter I will let you know.

Kmassey32

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2019
Just received 6 f0 mesoheros gephyrus "rio calima" from TUIC super stoked. I read a few say they might be insectivors but I cant find anything to corroborate that. Anyone have experience that can confirm that or not?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
duanes duanes can probably help.
K Kmassey32 I’ve not had any first had experience With this species but , I generally believe most fish are opportunistic and feed as omnivores especially while young.

Reactions: lunsforj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store