looking for a Rare cichlid - Haplochromis latifasciatus

deadman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2008
texas
astatotilipia latificanita is the correct name for this species. dave at daves rare fish as them. they are from lake kyoga not lake victoria proper. its believed that all thoes in the hobby today came frmo a single group.
great species and decent temperment.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
As deadman stated as well, a lot of the haps were renamed and worse many of the divers who collect lie about where they get the fish so that other divers will not go and catch them. So it is a bit difficult.

thunderridge127

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cottonwood, Az.
They are very beautiful & are not rare in Southern Ca. (San Diego). However I definitely disagree on their temperment. I had a gorgeous male & I had to get rid of him. He was a very nasty fish & was agressive to all of my fish. I had him in a 150 gallon tank & the whole tank was his territory. His temperment was similar to a very aggressive Mbuna. If you want to keep or breed these fish I would recommend 2 males & 6 females in a species only tank.:)

Lab_Rat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2011
Deep south
They've got a decent temperament compared to other Victoria cichlids. I had a group of A. latifasciata in with my peacocks and never had issue. I've still got the dominant male in my male tank.

thunderridge127

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cottonwood, Az.
Maybe if they are kept in a group they are more apt to pay less attention to the other fish in the tank. Or maybe my fish was just unusually aggressive & a very nasty individual ?

ExpertBreeder

Feeder Fish
Jun 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Could be a nasty individual. I never had any issues with this species but i only kept species only tanks. If anything they were mixed with my ruti islands. Tough strain to work with as far as quality due to not being able to get fresh blood from WC specimens.

malawidave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2011
Florida
I have a M/F Pair in my tank, they spawned once, I stripped the female, but accidentally dropped her back into the holding tank and before I could grab my net to get her back out, she had eaten all the fry. :( Bummer... But... she's been eating like a pig lately so I think she may be about ready to give it another try, I'm going to make sure to have a better grip on her next time.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Check with Dave's rare fish. These are fairly common in the hobby. Unfortunately, most of the strains I see lately aren't really that strong of a blood line.

There are also many other species of Victorians that are critically endangered as well and are not as easy to get.

Bluey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Here.
um , we have alot over here... they sell for $12AU each retail , wholsale around $3AU

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store