Labidochromis caeruleus hybrid?

I got this guy yesterday, My LFS tossed him in for free because I bought a lot of Lace Rock and 2 other cichlids.

the darkness in his face and belly make me wonder if he is a cross breed.

with some kind of zebra or ?

I know my tank is dirty. I just fed them, and I wanted all of these guys to calm down so I could get a clear picture! Its getting cleaned now.

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
Dont know.. I do see that your plants look like mine, wtf?

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
They get that way sometimes do to aggression, my electric yellow male has a blueish/blackish face from time to time... more so when he is fighting with the male kenyi or melanochromis....

JonV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Randolph NJ
I don't think that's a hyrbid myself. If it's just the coloring only, but you still see the same fin arrangement, body, head, ect...only just slightly different on the color, I wouldn't think a hybrid.

More so also, the pure yellow look of Labidochromis Caeruleus, that's a hobbyist thing actually. Wild caught specimens almost never have a pure yellow look, most have that blackish look with bars on the body. Pure yellow, that's just some selective line breeding.

These pictures don't really show how dark he is.
He has lightened up since I got him in my main tank, but he is still very dark compared to my other Electric Yellows.

roombo;3044441; said:
Dont know.. I do see that your plants look like mine, wtf?
I was cleaning my tank last week before I went to work, and left that plant out by mistake.

When I got home from work that night I saw it sitting dried out on my nightstand and thought it might be ok because it always is sprouting new leaves so we will see if I killed it or not.

JonV;3045620; said:
I don't think that's a hyrbid myself. If it's just the coloring only, but you still see the same fin arrangement, body, head, ect...only just slightly different on the color, I wouldn't think a hybrid.

More so also, the pure yellow look of Labidochromis Caeruleus, that's a hobbyist thing actually. Wild caught specimens almost never have a pure yellow look, most have that blackish look with bars on the body. Pure yellow, that's just some selective line breeding.
I thought that the wild coloring was more brownish than black, but you are probably right.

lasvegasnights21;3045689; said:
I agree! Sometimes when mine are stressed they get that sort of coloration on them. Anyways, he is a good looking cichlid!
I think he looks cool, and I wasn't going to turn him down since the price was right. :naughty:

greenearthlawns;3044481; said:
They get that way sometimes do to aggression, my electric yellow male has a blueish/blackish face from time to time... more so when he is fighting with the male kenyi or melanochromis....
My smaller male I have had for 3 months now is dark in the morning when I first turn the lights on in their tank, but he is nowhere near this dark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store