Is this a ture geophagus suranemsis?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
True surinamensis is still a very rare fish in the hobby.
Having said that I have heard reports of them being bred in Germany recently.
None were imported for years due to political unrest in that part of the world.
Shops and sellers tend to call lots of geophagus surinamensis as a catch all name for members of the Altifrons group.
True surinamensis will have no black cheek mark and dots on the caudal fin.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
If you can get your hands on a geo like this let me know!
Those are not geos. They are Acaricthys heckelii.

^^ nice do it. Geo Sveni is also unreal. Imagine like 8 or 9 these guys in a tank.

The second fish is not G. sveni.

G. surinamensis are not in circulation in the hobby unless you got them from Oliver Lucanus in Canada last year. Most of the fish in the US called surinamensis end up being altifrons or abalios. You would need clearer pictures of the fish from a profile view so you could see the combination of stress bars, cheek marking (or lack thereof), tail pattern, and midlateral spot to try and determine the species.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I like the altifrons especially the albino ones wouldn't mind a school of those

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Those are not geos. They are Acaricthys heckelii.

The second fish is not G. sveni.

G. surinamensis are not in circulation in the hobby unless you got them from Oliver Lucanus in Canada last year. Most of the fish in the US called surinamensis end up being altifrons or abalios. You would need clearer pictures of the fish from a profile view so you could see the combination of stress bars, cheek marking (or lack thereof), tail pattern, and midlateral spot to try and determine the species.
I'll take a pic today of the male. He's huge so definitley a good couple years old. I know the true suranemsis are extremely rare to find or get but if these are truly from the wild then there's at least a chance the guy selling them is telling the truth. Either way I'm really happy with the fish. Super beautiful.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
That looks like Winemilleri, but to be honest I find that many Geos look almost indistinguishable, unless you're doing a side by side comparison with known species; at which point it's much easier to say "this is this and that is that".
I'll defer to others on this!

Regardless though, that is a nice looking specimen.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
That looks like Winemilleri, but to be honest I find that many Geos look almost indistinguishable, unless you're doing a side by side comparison with known species; at which point it's much easier to say "this is this and that is that".
I'll defer to others on this!

Regardless though, that is a nice looking specimen.
I also thought it looked winemilleri

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store