Help with tiger SD

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Agree with the advice given. Your tiger dollars (Metynnis fasciatus) should recover with excellent water quality, an eye on preventing secondary infection, and providing a habitat that is not prone to sudden noises, vibrations or lights. That would do wonders to heal and calm them. Over a few weeks the white lips can disappear and the fish may show they real behaviors. Good luck!
You say the other dollars you purchased were 'red hooks'. Current lingo in too many pet stores is to call so several species Metynnis (quite often not including the real red hooks of the genus Myloplus). They do that simply because they have a very noticeable red anal fin, specially the females. Post pictures here to see what kind of dollars you have, and if possible post pictures of the fish as they settle down and recover from the minor damage they incurred.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Agree with the advice given. Your tiger dollars (Metynnis fasciatus) should recover with excellent water quality, an eye on preventing secondary infection, and providing a habitat that is not prone to sudden noises, vibrations or lights. That would do wonders to heal and calm them. Over a few weeks the white lips can disappear and the fish may show they real behaviors. Good luck!
You say the other dollars you purchased were 'red hooks'. Current lingo in too many pet stores is to call so several species Metynnis (quite often not including the real red hooks of the genus Myloplus). They do that simply because they have a very noticeable red anal fin, specially the females. Post pictures here to see what kind of dollars you have, and if possible post pictures of the fish as they settle down and recover from the minor damage they incurred.
I will gladly update on how the tigers mend. Here are the “red hooks”. I have a suspicion that you may be correct on the mislabel now that I am looking at them.... but I am quite pleased with them either way. What do you think? Honestly surprised at how entertaining this little quad of SD’s is.

774468AB-4A4B-43AE-B5A7-171BF66D0194.jpeg

235B8E3C-777B-4C7D-A4CB-DD77A844AB73.jpeg

9B8545DA-5C3B-4F91-961F-663824A11F39.jpeg

Reactions: twentyleagues

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Very nice fish!
Just as I suspected, the fish are mislabeled from the lfs. Those are not Myloplus rubripinnis ("real" red hooks), but instead, they are very nice specimens of Metynnis.
What you have is a certain MALE Metynnis altidorsalis (pic 1 bottom right, pic 2 center, pic 3, bottom right), and a certain FEMALE, which I also suspect is M. altidorsalis, but which is still not colored up enough for me to be certain (pics 1, 3, upper left). I am actually almost sure she is also M. altidorsalis.
Below a picture of my male M. altidorsalis, which gives you an idea of how the male may look like when he is fully settled. I do not have a female of that species. I wish I did... one of these days when I set another dollar tank and find a female. I would love to see pictures of yours when she is fully comfortable.
Very nice fish. Congrats!!
[Photos- 1-My male M. altidorsalis, 2- The current troop]

IMG_0342.jpg

Metynnis spp TANK SHOT IMG_0567.jpg

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Very nice fish!
Just as I suspected, the fish are mislabeled from the lfs. Those are not Myloplus rubripinnis ("real" red hooks), but instead, they are very nice specimens of Metynnis.
What you have is a certain MALE Metynnis altidorsalis (pic 1 bottom right, pic 2 center, pic 3, bottom right), and a certain FEMALE, which I also suspect is M. altidorsalis, but which is still not colored up enough for me to be certain (pics 1, 3, upper left). I am actually almost sure she is also M. altidorsalis.
Below a picture of my male M. altidorsalis, which gives you an idea of how the male may look like when he is fully settled. I do not have a female of that species. I wish I did... one of these days when I set another dollar tank and find a female. I would love to see pictures of yours when she is fully comfortable.
Very nice fish. Congrats!!
[Photos- 1-My male M. altidorsalis, 2- The current troop]

View attachment 1439889

View attachment 1439890
Great information and very nice fish and setup! I’d love to do a planted one of these days.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I re-did the water test this morning for good measure, here is what I’m getting. How would you folks interpret this? Tank has been running over a year.

5D5367DD-F70F-4811-8CB3-B4E1F5A655BC.jpeg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I re-did the water test this morning for good measure, here is what I’m getting. How would you folks interpret this? Tank has been running over a year.

View attachment 1439954
I'm not saying it's wrong or not good/right but make sure you are shaking the "stuff" out of bottle #2 of the nitrate solution. I used to make that mistake years ago. I talked to an api rep and he said you can't under shake it. The salts separate from the liquid. You may have known that. If that is accurate keep up what you are doing.

Reactions: biguebs
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store