Guinacara species questions

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Awhile ago I found a single full grown male Guinacara at my LFS labeled "Gymnogeophagus geayi" so I bought him, but upon getting him home I determined he was not Guinacara geayi. I am pretty certain now that he is a Guianacara sphenozona.

I want to get him a few pals, but I want to get Guinacara that are the same species. I am ordering from Wetspot, and they have some fish labeled "Guinacara Geayi." Are these likely true Geayi, or the more common (and commonly mislabled!) Sphenozona?

Any insights would be appreciated!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Wow, so really it would be difficult for me to know with any certainty what species I actually have! I just didn't want to get two closely related species who weren't the same species, in case they decided to pair up. But I do want to get my guy company, if I can find some that match him.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Note the lack of dark color in the front of the dorsal fin of sphenozona, and geayi in the link in my post.
Because my Guianacara have a dark area in the dorsal I believe I can eliminate those 2 species from my group, and "maybe" oelemariensis because of that species more circular mid body mark but rest are up in the air for me.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Oh, I missed that link at the top of your post. Very helpful... I'll have to re-check mines marking compared to the chart. BTW, what kind of Crenicichla is that in the pic with your Guinacara? Very pretty little guy!

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I have spoken with Anthony from Wetspot and he says the species picture they provide is an old one from years ago. They don't have any pics of Guianacara they have now, so there is no way to know what your really getting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Futurecamii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Chicago
Okay so I think they might be Owroewefi. I own both and since I see the black lappet fading on dorsal fin of one I believe it to be what I stated. Stergiosi's are lighter and more yellow spangled throughout. Also fin length is a little different

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store