Geophagus sp. "Tapajos"

Lightbringer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2007
Austin, TX
Got these guys about a month ago. They are the biggest beggars in the house. More so than my discus, heros, and rainbows. They have wonderful red saddles on their heads and the most liquid eyes.

Youngbuck5009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
Detroit, MI
great pics! and nice fish too

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
Nice looking young fish!

To avoid confusion (or maybe contribute to it), they are G. sp. "Tapajos Orange Head" (or G. sp. "Tapajos I"), where as G. sp. "Tapajos" (or G. sp. "Tapajos II") is a completely different fish.

Lightbringer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2007
Austin, TX
edburress;3276460; said:
Nice looking young fish!

To avoid confusion (or maybe contribute to it), they are G. sp. "Tapajos Orange Head" (or G. sp. "Tapajos I"), where as G. sp. "Tapajos" (or G. sp. "Tapajos II") is a completely different fish.
Heh, yes, the naming convention gets a bit wonky, doesn't it. Good clarification to make, though.

Lightbringer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2007
Austin, TX
SusieQ;3277876; said:
Hi. Beautiful orangeheads... How big is the tank... any tankmates...any full tank shots??:popcorn::popcorn:. Good luck with them... Sue:D
The tank they are in at the moment is an odd ball "wide aspect ratio" 33g tank with dimensions like a short 60g (48" x 13" x 14"). Filtration is provided by an Eheim Classic 2215 with a heater inline. A Tunze Turbelle 6025 keeps a good current running the length of the tank. Lighting is a pair of Coralife T-5's running 6500K daylight bulbs. The plants are are almost entirely comprised of various Java Ferns with an anubis in one corner. There are three big ornate pieces of mounted driftwood in the tank where the plecos spend most of their time hiding. Some petrified wood and other rockwork form breakwaters for fish to rest behind if they get tired of the current (though only the Cory's seem to make use of it very much).

There are 4 of the Geo's in there with 4 small pleco's (1 L204, 2 L239, and 1 LDA31), 8 Corydoras Paleatus, 10 black neon tetras and one errant juvenile Botia Angelicus.

Yes, the tank is a bit overstocked at the moment; I'm trying to figure out who to move to which of the other 5 tanks in the house. This has been complicated somewhat by the Heros having fry this past weekend.

Larger of the juvie Geo's with the Botia:

The mustard spot:

Who is apparently the hero known as "Super Pleco" judging by the curiously shaped spot right below his eye:

And here's the flash:

And one of the little Cory's:

And the black neons:

No full tank shots online at the moment, but I will see about taking one when I get home from work today.

Enjoy the pics!

xboroinc

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
New York
nice bro. n yeah they are beggars. my brother thinks i dnt feed them thats how hungry they act. n all the time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store