Flagtail Prochilodus question

Lockheed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2018
So I'm planning on getting a semaprochilodus taeniurus. I'm currently iffy about it now because of what I read about them. Do they really turn to savage slime coat suckers? I currently have a florida gar and a couple of bichirs in the tank. Is there a way to prevent a flagtail from sucking on my fishes? I would really love to own one if it's possible.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Mine has never sucked on anyone’s slime coat ...eats pellets along with algae 24/7 best cleaners you could ask for in terms of algae control and keeping your driftwood clean

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I lost my FT, of 6 years, a few months ago. It grew up in a tank with a bunch of CA cichlids, and never "sucked" on any tankmates.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Feed lots of veggies and greens
Oddly while I know they need it in their diet I can't get my Flagtail to eat veggies or greens (though he's always cleaning what little algae can be found) -- he much prefers Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets and frozen shrimp to any bottom feeder food I give him (e.g. Hikari Sinking Wafer or Ocean Nutrition Formula #2). The omnivore who wants to be a carnivore lol.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Oddly while I know they need it in their diet I can't get my Flagtail to eat veggies or greens (though he's always cleaning what little algae can be found) -- he much prefers Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets and frozen shrimp to any bottom feeder food I give him (e.g. Hikari Sinking Wafer or Ocean Nutrition Formula #2). The omnivore who wants to be a carnivore lol.
I have the same issue with mine. I’ve had it for a few months now and have hardly seen it take any veg matter outside of scrubbing the tank. I have tried pellets, discs, and fresh veg but it never seems to care.

Often I see it mouth the carn pellets but rarely ever swallows them. Hasnt grown a whole lot, just wondering if there are any tricks to get these guys to eat their veggies? Maybe threatening them with no desert or playtime or something?...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store