Etroplus canarensis: Canara Pearlspot Update

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
My ten young Etroplus canarensis (Canara Pearl Spots) were obtained last August. They were just about 3/4" (2 cm) TL at the time and I believe around three or four months of age. Here they are just after I got them.
MVI_0850.jpg
And here's what they're like now,about 3 1/2".
MVI_0001-026.jpg
They are real characters, the way they school around in a tight bunch. Dietarily speaking, they are avid vegetarians. Here they are seen in a bit of a frenzy, fighting over a few peas that have been dropped into the tank They take on an interesting pattern and coloration when they get excited. According to Jose Gonzales (ciclasoman), the breeder of this rare cichlid, they are getting close to sexual maturity ...Here's hoping! Their tank mates are eight young Herichthys bartoni, three Theraps wesseli, and a single Cichlasoma dimerus. They have all grown up together which, in part accounts for their high degree of compatibility. Here's a video of the action.
[video=youtube_share;gQCCDPtRJXE]http://youtu.be/gQCCDPtRJXE[/video]

MVI_0850.jpg

MVI_0001-026.jpg

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I love these guys. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a group but I wasn't sure if I could mix them with my more peaceful SA stuff. Their water requirements are similar but I didn't know how they fared with other cichlids.

How long have you had them? I read somewhere that it took 2 years for sexual maturity but that seems like a long time for such a small fish. They certainly are cute little things.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I love these guys. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a group but I wasn't sure if I could mix them with my more peaceful SA stuff. Their water requirements are similar but I didn't know how they fared with other cichlids.

How long have you had them? I read somewhere that it took 2 years for sexual maturity but that seems like a long time for such a small fish. They certainly are cute little things.
I got them last August from Jose Gonzales (ciclasoman) in San Antonio. They are presently about 16 months of age. Jose says that they should be sexually mature at around 18 months to two years. I have had good success mixing them with some smaller H. bartoni and T. wesseli but Jose has told me that the canarensis can stress easily and this can be a deterrent to them breeding with the wrong tank mates. I'll most likely remove the other cichlids at some point in the near future.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Very impressive collection and great videos. When your canarensis are breeding or getting ready to do so, do they change pattern or color from their usual? Mine have darkened and dark bands appear across the top of the head. Is this a stress pattern or an indication of impending breeding (or at least sexual maturity)?
MVI_0397-001.jpg
Usual color and pattern

MVI_0001-026.jpg
Darkened color and pattern

MVI_0001-026.jpg

MVI_0397-001.jpg

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Gorgeous pearlspots Jim & Jose!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I hope that isn't a stress pattern, because it's so pretty.

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
Very impressive collection and great videos. When your canarensis are breeding or getting ready to do so, do they change pattern or color from their usual? Mine have darkened and dark bands appear across the top of the head. Is this a stress pattern or an indication of impending breeding (or at least sexual maturity)?
View attachment 997201
Usual color and pattern

View attachment 997200
Darkened color and pattern
Jim:
I have seen the same pattern when my fish were stressed, once following a large volume water change and another under the pressure from other fish. However, I have also seen that pattern in a breeding pair. The picture below is poor but you may be able to catch a glimpse of a spawn on a log.
Let's hope for sexual maturation!!

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Thanks Laurie and Chris. They are really striking. Jose and Duane, I hope you're both right on the spawning comment. It might just be time to move out the bartoni and wesseli and see what happens. I'll keep an update going.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store