Dragon goby-feeding

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
drak.jpg
I obtained the dragon goby.Maybe gobioides peruanus.But i wanted to know what is the best food for him.I am not sure if frozen bloodworms could work enough.thanks.

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
You'll want a varied diet of more than just blood worms. They live to sift through the substrate for tidbits. Mine loved brine shrimp and Sinking pellets. At around 15 inches it started showing health problems and I rehomed it rather than set up a brackish tank so keep that in mind.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I believe that G.peruanus is a completely freshwater species, unlike the commonly-seen G.brousonnetti which eventually needs brackish. I've avoided these fish mainly because I can't seem to find any that I can trust are the freshwater species; missed my chance the one time that they showed up here recently.

Very cool fish, I hope yours do well L latapy10 . :)

Reactions: latapy10

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
You'll want a varied diet of more than just blood worms. They live to sift through the substrate for tidbits. Mine loved brine shrimp and Sinking pellets. At around 15 inches it started showing health problems and I rehomed it rather than set up a brackish tank so keep that in mind.
thanks for advice.I hope that it could be freshwater type gobioides peruanus which is here in europe more often than g.brousonetti.

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Ah didn't notice you were across the pond. We mostly get the brackish Gobies at least around where I live. The pet store I got mine from assured me it was a violet goby and true freshwater. I was ignorant enough to take their word on it and brought it home that day. Super cool fish though.

ZainPreston

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2023
Dragon gobies (Gobioides broussonnetii or Gobioides peruanus) are primarily carnivorous fish that feed on small invertebrates, crustaceans, and fish in the wild. In captivity, they can be fed a variety of foods, including frozen and live foods.
Frozen bloodworms can be a good food source for dragon gobies, but it is important to offer a varied diet to ensure they are receiving all the necessary nutrients. You can also offer other frozen foods like brine shrimp, krill, mysis shrimp, and chopped fish.
In addition to frozen foods, you can also offer live foods like blackworms, earthworms, and feeder fish (guppies, minnows, etc.). It is important to ensure that any live food offered to your dragon goby is from a reputable source to avoid introducing diseases or parasites to your aquarium.
It is important to feed your dragon goby a varied diet and avoid overfeeding to prevent obesity and health problems. As with any fish, always monitor their feeding behavior and adjust their diet as necessary.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Dragon gobies (Gobioides broussonnetii or Gobioides peruanus) are primarily carnivorous fish that feed on small invertebrates, crustaceans, and fish in the wild. In captivity, they can be fed a variety of foods, including frozen and live foods.
Frozen bloodworms can be a good food source for dragon gobies, but it is important to offer a varied diet to ensure they are receiving all the necessary nutrients. You can also offer other frozen foods like brine shrimp, krill, mysis shrimp, and chopped fish.
In addition to frozen foods, you can also offer live foods like blackworms, earthworms, and feeder fish (guppies, minnows, etc.). It is important to ensure that any live food offered to your dragon goby is from a reputable source to avoid introducing diseases or parasites to your aquarium.
It is important to feed your dragon goby a varied diet and avoid overfeeding to prevent obesity and health problems. As with any fish, always monitor their feeding behavior and adjust their diet as necessary.
Have you kept these fish, or was this ^ cut-and-pasted directly from the internet? It has that "authoritatively vague" feel about it; I question if it originated anywhere near a tank containing Violet Gobies.

I've never kept them in my own tanks, but an elderly mentor of mine had several of them for years, and I assisted him with much of his maintenance in his later years. A couple of them were well over 20 inches in length, yet he kept them in tanks in which he was rearing Mollies. The gobies never seemed to be aware of the fry and never touched them. They used their insanely long teeth as a sieve to filter out tiny organic particles from the sand which they were constantly mouthing and spitting out as they worked over the bottom. The idea of feeding those fish things like fish, earthworms or even krill is laughable, unless the food is run through a blender first. They wanted only the smallest dry foods, crushed flakes, bloodworms, tubifex, etc. They couldn't or wouldn't swallow anything large, and certainly didn't actively pursue anything at all. He kept them one goby per tank, because they fought if kept with their own species...but completely ignored any other fish. They gave the impression of being almost completely blind; I suspect but don't know that they would fare poorly with larger fish.

His were, I assume, G.broussonnetii (spelling?), just based on their size. Apparently G.peruanus are smaller, so they might be even more insistent on micro-sized foods.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Even this small stiphodon does not have to worry about dragon goby. Dragon gobies are completely peacefull to other fishes in my tank....

hlavač+drak.jpg

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
And something for you ZainPreston... There is another dragon goby. And it agrees with your description of a predatory dragon goby. His name is odontamblyopus rubicundus. It is from Asia and it is very predatory to smaller fishes.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
And something for you ZainPreston... There is another dragon goby. And it agrees with your description of a predatory dragon goby. His name is odontamblyopus rubicundus. It is from Asia and it is very predatory to smaller fishes.
Never heard of that! And that is a seriously interesting critter...thanks for posting that. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store