Differences of Chitala Chitala and Chitala Ornata

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There is much information on the common name; Clown Knife Fish. However, if you were to look at the scientific name of the species, you may discover that there are two different names for this commonly available fish…Chitala Chitala and Chitala Ornata.
If you were to research them, Chitala Chitala is listed as endangered. How is an endangered fish so commonly available in the trade? It’s not. The easiest way to tell the difference between them is the gold/silver transverse on the dorsum. What does that mean? Here are some visuals to help (being so rare in the hobby...I googled these pictures).

As you can see, the markings on the back are faint, but it’s there. Some have said that it’s the flash of the camera, but the markings are visibly there even without the flash. Some of these pictures are without flash, I believe. Also, the ocellaris on Chitala Chitala are small and few. They seem more like “freckling” than spots. As for the actual availability of this species…I don’t believe that these are available in the pet trade due to its status.
Chitala Ornata is what you would normally see at the pet stores. The large ocellaris and lack of gold/silver transverse is what is differs from Chitala Chitala. However, these patterns can vary from spotless, a few spots to many spots, small spots to large spots, and even flower patterns. There is even a golden color morph of a Clown Knife that is available (and these are pictures of one that I used to have myself).

I’m sure that there are more definite ways to tell the difference between the two species if you want to break it down scientifically and do ray counts, scale counts, river locations, etc, etc. As an average hobbyist, I’m not going to lie…I really don’t care. All I know is that I love Clown Knives for their appearance and interesting behavior. After all…it’s just fun and I don’t plan on being the Know-it-all of Know-it-alls.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Nice info!!!!

ItJustComesNatural

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Indiana
www.facebook.com
I love the Clown Knife! All species!! My father has been a fish breeder/raiser most of his life and all of mine! i have always bugged him to get a Chitala Ornata but never got any luck all his tanks were full of little fish of all sorts. I promised my self after I am on my own and can afford a bug tank set up I will have me one of those! Well here I am! I got a 125 gallon for FREE!!! I called my dad a couple weeks ago and said guess what I found!! A Chitala Ornata! he said Yep shoulda figured! hahaha
Don't have it yet but I will before the end of the month!
Well I'm sure you really didnt care to read all that about someone ya don't know, but oh well sorry! I just love the fish!! Hope your Holidays are great!!

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
As for the availability question for C. Chitala, C. Hypselonotus, and C. Borneensis:

With regards to C. Chitala, captive breeding programs are in place to provide the species as a food fish (As per the statement of the IUCN Red List). The fish may become available once breeding programs increase in number, though I also suspect certain details with regards to paperwork and transport issues being lacking as another possible reason for why they haven't reached anywhere else but the stomachs of people. :ROFL:

Who knows, we might be able to finally keep these guys soon. I mean, Indian Mahseer were once difficult to get, but with breeding projects in place and interest, they became available. And considering the rising popularity of Primitive Fish Keeping, it's probably only a matter of time.

As for C. Hypselonotus and C. Borneensis, the safest bet would be to conduct a fish collection in the areas that they are purported to originate from and then:

a) Compare the fish visually with C. Ornata.
b) Compare DNA samples with other Featherback Knives.

Greatest possibility why these species have not entered the trade is probably because fish collections have not included them in catches. There also lies the possibility that some suppliers are shooting down the idea of supplying/searching for them because Clown Knives incur less expense to obtain, which is a shame. This is, of course, assuming that Borneensis and Hypselonotus are valid, but we won't know unless someone can present specimens for study and analysis.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm interested in seeing what C. Hypselonotus and C. Borneensis look like. I never heard of these species until just a few years ago and finding exact pictures of these knives are pretty difficult. Not sure how these guys look compared to C. Ornata.

killercatfisher29

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
Texas
thank you for posting this, i just aqcuired a clown knife and some mentioned to me that i could be either or, i didnt know there was a diffrence. mine is still only 2.5'' so i may have to wait to tell but ill deffinetly look.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store