Can you keep green spotted or figure 8 puffers in freshwater for life?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Gsp is marine basically. Now an F8 is fw if I remember correctly but the fresh they come from has parameters that's easiest to replicate with light brackish.
Long term F8 still require that bit of salt... its not much but is enough to kill them long term if they arent kept in their very light brackish environment...

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
My lfs can get colomsesus asellus in for 5$ is that a good deal and would they get along with discus
You could probably keep Schoutedeni puffers with discus. My Schoutedeni has never gone after a fish. He wont eat chopped tilapia they are one of the most other fish friendly puffers. All though it is possible to get a mean fish from time to time so like everything else you have to be careful. Puffers are kind of like pitbulls if they bite its going to be bad. Now I cant speak for all puffers but I think that analogy would fit the Schoutedeni the best of all puffers maybe along with the mbu because overall they are gentle. The down side is they are expensive, but if you look hard enough you can find deals. People are starting to breed these and selling captive bred ones much cheaper then the wild caught. Some people are selling them for the same price as wild caught too though.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
20190505_183612.jpg
That is my Schoutedeni. He was in with Congo and African redeye tetras. The tetras gave him more problems then anything else. They would steal his snails and carry them around until they realized they couldnt/didnt want to eat them.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Personally the intricate environments that puffers require for stimulation clash with a Discus' need for clean water, lots of decor makes it more difficult to keep everything sparkly clean as discus like to have it...

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Personally the intricate environments that puffers require for stimulation clash with a Discus' need for clean water, lots of decor makes it more difficult to keep everything sparkly clean as discus like to have it...
Thats a very good point. I wasnt thinking on that at all.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Long term F8 still require that bit of salt... its not much but is enough to kill them long term if they arent kept in their very light brackish environment...
I was talking about in the wild. I read a paper talking about they're wild parameters and there was something about it that made it easiest to replicate with light brackish in captivity if I remember correctly. I can't find the source though.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was talking about in the wild. I read a paper talking about they're wild parameters and there was something about it that made it easiest to replicate with light brackish in captivity if I remember correctly. I can't find the source though.
In that case maybe its coz salinity changes between seasons or something would be my guess, coz short term they are okay, but prolonged periods of time in strictly fresh and they seem to suffer...

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
I really want a shoutedeni now. Twenty leagues that is a very cute puffer.

This is my Fahaka Feona

15641488096661300728850.jpg

15641488257111583625399.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Got a full tank shot we can see ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com