Can CA cichlids live peacefully with a violet goby?

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Hi -- is it possible for any CA cichlids to peacefully live with a violet goby and a large hermit crab without attacking them? (ignore the obvious salinity issue here please, just want to know abou ttemperment)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi -- is it possible for any CA cichlids to peacefully live with a violet goby and a large hermit crab without attacking them? (ignore the obvious salinity issue here please, just want to know abou ttemperment)

is it possible for any CA cichlids to peacefully live with a violet goby and a large hermit crab without attacking them? (
I wouldn't risk it. Also is it a brackish setup?

Reactions: latapy10

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Yeah, I’m doing a lot of research on which ones are brackish tolerant and it seems some species actually prefer brackish and do better, and some species can’t tolerate it at all. But just want to get a feel whether ANY ca cichlid would be polite enough to not bite a violet goby.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
If it was me I would go with a Orange Chromide cichlid.
duanes duanes
Yeah if I do decide to ignore geography and stock the tank with fish from anywhere, I’ll go with green chromides. But I’m trying to stick with fish from their native waters.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
There is another species of Violet Goby, apparently from pure fresh water, native to Peru. Not strictly Central America, of course.

I think it's much more important to be concerned with actual water conditions and parameters than with other fish from the same locality. A brackish environment might be only a few miles from a pure freshwater one, and the fish found in those two locales could be completely different, and completely intolerant of each other's preferred water conditions. Whereas another brackish species from half-way around the world might be the perfect tankmate for your Violet Goby.

Researching the tolerance of this or that species for this or that water...and then forcing together two species, each of which is at the opposite extreme of its required conditions...usually results in neither species being properly accommodated. You see this a lot with temperature preferences, but it is just as true of salinity, hardness, pH, etc.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept Andinoacara cichlids with these with these two gobies in a 180 gal tank without problems.
DE0B9216-D034-4680-8DF1-A1EF17F055C8_1_201_a.jpeg
The Awaous species "banana ? (above)" was about the same size as the Andinoacara (4")
And below Eleiotris species (maybe species picta) almost double the size of the cichlids.
2EFBB5FD-4C6A-48FD-A791-B13A5D8CBB40_1_201_a.jpeg
Many species of Central American cichlids are highly tolerant of brackish water.
Herichthys carpintus laguna Chairel (below) is one, lake Chairel is in very close proximity to the sea, and the lake often inundated with salt water by seasonal winds.
1660226160240.png
Vieja maculicauda is another, often found foraging for marine algae in the sea.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Chromis is definitely the way to go in this case.
Any of cichlids that have a brackish tolerance (but aren’t true brackish fish) would likely make short work of the goby, not to mention the hermit.

Reactions: tlindsey

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
There is another species of Violet Goby, apparently from pure fresh water, native to Peru. Not strictly Central America, of course.

I think it's much more important to be concerned with actual water conditions and parameters than with other fish from the same locality. A brackish environment might be only a few miles from a pure freshwater one, and the fish found in those two locales could be completely different, and completely intolerant of each other's preferred water conditions. Whereas another brackish species from half-way around the world might be the perfect tankmate for your Violet Goby.

Researching the tolerance of this or that species for this or that water...and then forcing together two species, each of which is at the opposite extreme of its required conditions...usually results in neither species being properly accommodated. You see this a lot with temperature preferences, but it is just as true of salinity, hardness, pH, etc.
true. maybe I shouldn't get so hung up on geography.

This is an interesting article about salinity with CA cichlids. I know some of them are completely intolerant of it but some species actually seem to do better in brackish, according to studies.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/51532/Oldfield_Saltwater_Cichlids_2004.pdf;jsessionid=88490F5B710A21BBECE49843ED2223AC?sequence=1&fbclid=IwAR1CGsSVduoyyobXyj57UNAfhsot7FFGPxpH-HfXzPSAJhidzxeLT4sH7jE

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
this fish i had two years in freshwater it is odontamblyopus rubicundus-eel goby.After two years i made big mistake .i bought stupid channa stewarti and he killed eel goby.But eel goby i consider as "freshwater substitution" for brackish violet gobies...

images dragon goby.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store