Blood Throat Cichlid ( Thoracochromis brauschi )

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
I acquired a nearly full grown group of 10 Blood Throat Cichlid ( Thoracochromis brauschi ) off of "Pitbull" at this years ICC Cook Out. This species is maternal mouth brooder endemic to the Fwa river region of the Congo. When I got them home they were very skittish and reluctant to eat and later that night the biggest dominate male died. They all looked very healthy, I can only assume it was the stress of being in bags for about 12 hours plus the stress of a new enviroment. For the next for following days they still were being very skittish and was very reluctant to eat infront of me but when I left the room and came back later most of the food would be gone. Before I got them I loaded there tank with lots a fake plants to resemble their native habitat but after getting tired of them just hiding all the time I stipped them out to force them to realize I'm not a threat to them. As each day goes by they seem to be getting more active and swimming around in the tank while I'm watching and even eating in front of me now. I was able to get a few pic's and a video for you guys to check out.

Video: Link

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store