Bichir and Catfish

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
would these catfish be able to be housed with bichir and ropefish.
here are the names of the catfish and max sizes:
List 1
Ictalurus punctatus (channel Cat) 36 inches
Megalodoras uranoscopus ( giant rapheal cat) 28 inches
Leiarius marmoratus ( achara cat ) 32 inches
Leiarius pictus ( sailfin pim ) 24 inches

List 2
Bunocephalus coracoideus ( Banjo Cat) 6 inches
Agamyxis pectinifrons ( Spotteed Rapheal) 5 inches
Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps ( Sailfin pleco) 18 inches
Pterygoplichthys scrophus ( Rhino pleco) 11 inches

This is for future reference to see if i can keep polypterus species with these catfish

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Well, the big cats like a Channel or Sailfin will eat smaller bichirs and slurp a ropefish like a noodle. Plecos may suck the slimecoat off bichirs too.

uwe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Germany
Hello,

as Simon says - it' too risky with these species you' talked about.
If you want tokeep any catfish with bichirs: I'm keeping one with my bichirs for years without any trouble (the biggest ones are over 50cm long!) ....

Herpetopneustes fossilis

These species of catfish is vivid and not aggressive. It is searching for some of the bichirs - especially Polypterus palmas polli - to get near them anyway. The size of this specimen is about 5cm for years, i think the maximum size of 50cm that is often read in literature is wrong (they were confound with Clarias sp. i think).
Anyway - a cool catfish in a bichir community helping to keep the tank clean by eating the rest of food that remains from the bichirs meal!

Greetings
Uwe

Reactions: Cthulhubone

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
Also each list is for two diferent future large tanks.

If polypterus can't be kept with these cats then i wont get one for the better good of the polypterus.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Ictalurus punctatus (channel Cat) 36 inches
Opportunistics feeders
Megalodoras uranoscopus ( giant rapheal cat) 28 inches
They do fine even with small fish. I have kept them with ropefish and even 6" senegal. I used to have a 16" and they never bother anything. The only problem is, they can become a food huger and will out compete your bichirs.
Leiarius marmoratus ( achara cat ) 32 inches
Opportunistics feeders
Leiarius pictus ( sailfin pim ) 24 inches
Opportunistics feeders
Bunocephalus coracoideus ( Banjo Cat) 6 inches
Should be okay but make sure the bichirs don't out compete them for food as they are very shy.
Agamyxis pectinifrons ( Spotteed Rapheal) 5 inches
Should be fine
Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps ( Sailfin pleco) 18 inches
Might suck your bichir slime and kill it.
Pterygoplichthys scrophus ( Rhino pleco) 11 inches
Might also suck the slime.

bunnyhunter42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Virginia
why wouldn't the banjo or the spotted Raphael do well? they are small enough not to give a ropefish or p.senegalus trouble rnt they? i ask bc i am wanting to put a tank together containing these and a few others.

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
Banjos, until adult or near adult size, are tempting tidbits because as long as your water quality is good*, unless they're actively feeding they don't effing move. Many times over the years my wife thought one of my banjos was dead because of lack of movement until she took a net after it(she has since ceased to attempt removing that species, lol). Plus, they have some dandy spines, so when they do get swallowed, you're liable to lose both fish.

*banjos are excellent water quality monitors, if you see one swimming endlessly in your tank, do an immediate water change, something is out of whack. Quite often something has died, causing a spike, especially in tanks 45 gallons and below.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store