Best dwarf cichlid pair for a 20L

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Well, I found a 20 long today by the dumpster at my apts and lo and behold it holds water! Ha not sure I need another tank. But what the hell I've always wanted a pair of dwarf cichlids so I'll take it as a sign.

I know a 20L isn't much tank but I've seen plenty of dwarf species kept in them before so I turn to you fine fellows, and ladies. Which species of dwarf cichlids do you think will do well in a 20 gallon long tank.

If you can include some pictures!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Unfortunately don't have any pics but suggest Apistogramma, Kribensis, or any Ram species. :)

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
A trio of smaller apistos would work, if decorated with enough shelter. Apistogramma borelli is a smaller, pretty, and easy apisto to start with.

One of the smaller Laetacara species would work too. L. curviceps would be the best one, but L. dorsigera and L. araguaiae could work as well. They need a more careful eye as they are a little more territorial with each other than L. curviceps.

L. araguaiae:

A pair of blue rams would work as well, but remember they need much warmer temps than most dwarves.

Normally I wouldn't mention westies in a SA post, but since you put pulcher in the tags I assume you meant kribs. I wouldn't do P. pulcher in a tank that small, but their smaller cousins work great. P. roloffi, P. taeniatus, P. kribensis, P. silviae and Enigmatochromis lucanusi would all work as a pair.

Enigmatochromis lucanusi:

There are quite a few others that are more tricky. Checkerboards, a few single specie genus fish, ect. Lots of choices really.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
darth pike darth pike great post and beautiful pictures my friend.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
E. lucanusii, even though they're not SA, are one of my favorites and a good choice. Make sure there's plenty of cover because males and females can get aggressive with each other. Same with Laetacara -- I had several pairs of wild L. dorsigera in 20 gallon tanks and two different males mauled their mates to death.

I'll also throw in a suggestion for the checkerboards, D. filamentosus, D. maculatus, or D. foirni if you can find them. I had mine in a 20 gallon long with tannin-stained water, a thin layer of sand, some driftwood, and lots of Indian almond leaves. It worked out really well.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
I've been looking at alot of different apistos, I've noticed some of them get up around 4" that almost seems abit big for a 20L although they are pretty. Apistogramma Viejita are gorgeous.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
A trio of smaller apistos would work, if decorated with enough shelter. Apistogramma borelli is a smaller, pretty, and easy apisto to start with.

One of the smaller Laetacara species would work too. L. curviceps would be the best one, but L. dorsigera and L. araguaiae could work as well. They need a more careful eye as they are a little more territorial with each other than L. curviceps.

L. araguaiae:

A pair of blue rams would work as well, but remember they need much warmer temps than most dwarves.

Normally I wouldn't mention westies in a SA post, but since you put pulcher in the tags I assume you meant kribs. I wouldn't do P. pulcher in a tank that small, but their smaller cousins work great. P. roloffi, P. taeniatus, P. kribensis, P. silviae and Enigmatochromis lucanusi would all work as a pair.

Enigmatochromis lucanusi:

There are quite a few others that are more tricky. Checkerboards, a few single specie genus fish, ect. Lots of choices really.
Great suggestions!

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I've been looking at alot of different apistos, I've noticed some of them get up around 4" that almost seems abit big for a 20L although they are pretty. Apistogramma Viejita are gorgeous.
A. viejita is exceedingly rare in the hobby. I've only just recently seen it appear in Europe. Most A. viejita in the hobby are really A. macmasteri. Regardless, very pretty fish. Though I'd only go a pair in a 20L, so make sure there is a lot of cover for them.

Reactions: Covetous
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store