Ageneiosus vittatus

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
fall 2017 140.JPG fall 2017 139.JPG Got 5 of these back in early Sept. Very active cats, spending most of the time swimming mid water. Although recently they have spent more time resting on the bottom of the tank. I think they took awhile to settle in to their new environment.

My question is, has anyone gotten them to eat pellets or something other than live or frozen foods? The only thing I have gotten these to eat is frozen blood worms & minnows.

Reactions: moe214 and kno4te

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I had a group of tiny blue ageniosus and I would mix in tiny pellets with black worms. Eventually no more live or frozen. GL

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Very cool striped duck bill catfish. Had some a while ago and was able to take some cut up tilapia. Had to mix with bloodworms as mentioned and starve a bit. It worked.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I concur.

I once put one of these fish with great many other fish (but it was an A. marmoratus) in 1500 gal pond, which I fed with 15-20 different kinds of foods - pellet, frozen, freeze-dried, etc. Just an enormous diversity of foods. None live though. I thought surely it is picking out something out of all this bounty. Nope. It rather died than to find something to eat out of all this.

My conclusion - just like guys above say - they need special effort and coercion.

Reactions: moe214

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thanks for the comments. I started mixing a small amount of pellets in with the blood worms last night. we will see how it goes.

CLauf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2017
Echoing what was said earlier, I've had good luck getting mine to take tilapia, in addition to whitefish, and catfish from a feeding stick very easily, and after 6 months without starvation it has begun to take chunks from the water column. Mine has refused pellets and worms, and interestingly enough has turned up its (bottle)nose at all incertebrates I've tried including shrimp and clam.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Never tried to convert mine to pellets but had good luck feeding frozen bloodworms and frozen shrimp with Ageneiosus Marmoratus 8-9", Ageneiosus Magoi 6", and Ageneiosus Vittatus 2" FWIW.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store