African Pike

Mr.AzulBass

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2011
Utah
They just got african pike in at Shark Aquarium i had not seen them around nj or online in a year or so. I am really thinkin about getting one but dont know how they act with other tankmates. anyone have one currently and could share that other species they keep them with and how fast they grow.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
I had one that grew pretty fast, probably 1-2 inches a month until it got like 13". He got along great with Cichlids and bichirs. I got rid of him because the bastard would only eat platys, and that got expensive. Here's an old pic:

Mr.AzulBass

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2011
Utah
pretty fish. damn i was hoping to get him to eat pellets after a while. arite well atleast i know he can mix with my cichla. Thanks for the help Angler

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Mr.AzulBass;5021806; said:
pretty fish. damn i was hoping to get him to eat pellets after a while. arite well atleast i know he can mix with my cichla. Thanks for the help Angler
Yeah, he's the pickiest eater I ever had. The LFS was feeding him goldfish. I fed him some Platies for a bit because I didn't want to feed goldfish from that packed dirty tank at petsmart. After eating Platies, he wouldn't even revert back to goldfish or rosies. They are VERY hard to get on pellets.

underboss8

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
city of god
typically not picky eaters, my group of four take shrimp, talapia, live, and hikari sticks. angler that is one monster odoe, my first group topped out at about 9'', grew really fast but slowed eventually perhaps not a big enuff tank 125gals. I think I have pics still in my gallery for refrence. current tankmates for my 2nd group of odoes are yellowtail cuda, boulengerella sp., gatf,fatf, scombs, and tats. never had problems with this setup.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
underboss8;5022125; said:
typically not picky eaters, my group of four take shrimp, talapia, live, and hikari sticks. angler that is one monster odoe, my first group topped out at about 9'', grew really fast but slowed eventually perhaps not a big enuff tank 125gals. I think I have pics still in my gallery for refrence. current tankmates for my 2nd group of odoes are yellowtail cuda, boulengerella sp., gatf,fatf, scombs, and tats. never had problems with this setup.
That's cool that you had them on all those foods. Maybe yours were more accepting of different foods because they were in a pack and felt like they had to compete more for food.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
gavigan1;5022248; said:
What size are they at shark aquarium. I have been looking for a large one forever
Not sure but Aquascape is another option.

Mr.AzulBass

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2011
Utah
Aquascape hasnt had them in in over a year so i gave up on them lol. they range at shark aquarium from 4" to 8" and they came in late saturday night so im gunna go get myself one either tomorrow or wednesday. thats great to hear that they will eat food sticks cuz thats what my cichla eat and it will work out. I hope to put him with my gatf as soon as his ass grows a bit more. they take so long to grow even an inch compared to the rest of the characins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store