75g Malawi Setup

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
hi, i have been keeping fish my whole life but i have never had an african tank! so i want to turn my 75 gallon into a malawi tank.... I definately want at least 2 kenyi cichlids... yellow and blue... but i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on your favorite africans to add in... will post pictures thread when done(in week or so)!!

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
I would avoid the Kenyi since they can be really aggressive and there are more attractive yellow and blue fish out there IMO. Just check out pseudotropheus saulosi. Also most malawis do best in larger groups not pairs. You want to aim for 1 male per 3-4 females.

Another favorite of mine is metriaclima msobo and pseudotropheus acei, either yellow tail or white tail.

Saulosi

Msobos

Yellowtail acei

White tail acei

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
Thanks i like those salousi also after looking online i'm thinking about making my 140 in the dinning room a african tank... there are so many cool ones!!! I want them all!!!

**These are the ones i really want!!**
Yellow Fin Mbamba
http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=10
Melanochromis auratus

Pseudotropheus Crabro(bumble bee
)

Pseudotropheus Elongatus(jewel spot)
Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga
white top afra
chewere elongatus
Labidochrmois Chismulae
Melanochromis chipokae
Copadichromis Azureus
Tramitichromis intermedi

what you guys think? 140 gallons of overkill? i was going to put my texas in the 140 but i have a feeling she will kill anything in there like she has in the past.... so i think i want it to be for africans, and i'll put my texas in a 125... It seems like i could make this 140 african tank a great centerpiece and give them a nice home to live in!!:drool:

Mokujin22

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Gatihersburg, MD
Auratus, chipokae and crabro are know to be some of the meanest of mbuna. You can keep them, but if you did, it should be in large groups to spread aggression.

In general, avoid conspecifics to reduce aggression and interbreeding. Auratus and chipokae, for example, should never be kept together.

The two haps you have listed are some of the least aggressive. They may not do very well in a tank full of large mbuna. If you want so throw in some haps to occupy the higher levels of the tank, go with (non-predatory) big boys... Cop borleyi or any Protomeleas.

Good luck.

why_spyder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Sioux City, IA
www.cynotilapia.info
If you decide to get a 'white top afra', be sure to get an accurate ID on the fish being sold before you buy.

White Top Afra is trade name that has been used to describe at least two different species of mbuna. The most common is Metriaclima pulpican which is not even a Cynotilapia afra (never was a C. afra), and the second species is Cynotilapia sp. "Hara" (which is a Cyno., but not a C. afra).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store