A

Anonymous

I'm curious who else is keeping this, if anyone at all. I have a few frags of what I believe are this genus, although I am not 100% sure. They've been in moderate flow for about 2 months now. Spot feeding phytoplankton, cyclop-eeze, and live baby brine and the polyps are staying extended.

jnperlm

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I purchased one of these on November 23, 2007 (See picture). It remains open and feeding most of the day and night. Each day it closes for a few hours later in the day and then reopens. For purpose of my corals I feed the tank, which is a community reef tank with coral, live rock, inverts and fish, Rotifeast and Phytofeast. Due to the requirements of this species of coral, I break the Phytofeast feedings in half; once in the morning and once before bed, thereby insuring a more constant supply of available food. The coral is doing quite well and developing new polyps.

Attachments

• Scleronephthya.JPG
    Scleronephthya.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 3,369

kreeger1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im feeding my tank, Pytho feast 2-3 times per day, once a day it gets roti pheast I also feed a home made mix which is mostly blended oysters in a fine fine blend with nutra mar uva and baby brine shrimp.

jnperlm

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a brief e-mail exchange with Eric Borneman he provided me with this advice: "Lots and lots of very small foods, including phytoplankton and try anything and everything that is almost microscopically fine or small." Yesterday, I started to use a new food that has not been mentioned in this thread, Phytogreen-S by Brightwell Aquatics: http://www.brightwellaquatics.com/ . While these products do not have the advantage of Reed Mariculture's Phytofeast of being live, the one advantage of Brightwell is I can get a solution of only Nannochloropsis, the smallest phytoplankton possible (They also have other products containing larger phytoplankton mixtures.). This seems to fit Eric's advice perfectly. I am not suggesting using Phytogreen-S in place of Phytofeast, but what I think is worth experimenting with is using it in addition to Phytofeast, and perhaps cutting back on the Phytofeast a bit. I will say, last night when I introduced the Phytogreen-S those polyps of my Scleronephthya that were not opened opened-up and, interestingly, so did the polyps of my acros. I see this as a positive sign and take it as a reason to continue to experiment with Phytogreen-S.

kreeger1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself taking alot of what Eric Borneman has to say with a grain of salt. I believe he wants to be the first with the break out info on keeping these corals and lets face it he's not.
Erik

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reed offers both Phyto-Feast LIVE and Phyto-Feast (non live).

Phyto-Feast has nanno in it, but not a bunch as most of our animals can not process the thick cell walls of nanno. It's akain to corn and the human digestive system (whole kernals pass right thru).

Reed also has a pure nanno, but it's sold as a rotifer feed as they're one of the few things that can thrive on nanno.

Most likely the polyps were reacting to the leaking aminos from broken cells, rather tehn the phyto itself.

jnperlm

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The source of Eric B's beliefs can be found in this paper: Phytoplankton: a significant trophic source for soft corals? by Alexander Widdig · Dietrich Schlichter, published in 2001. Based upon their research, using labeled microalgaes and checking for the metabolites of these algaes they reached this conclusion:

"The ingestion and assimilation rates calculated for larger algae species (Chaetoceros muelleri, Tetraselmis sp., Dinoflagellates) on the basis of results obtained under standard conditions and of those simulating in situ conditions were found to be similar. However, for the minute Nannochloropsis sp., the incorporation rates under simulated in situ conditions were about 3.5 times higher than in the standard feeding experiments.
The low trophic contribution through herbivory, suggests that there are further heterotrophic resources used by the azooxanthellate Dendronephthya sp. Besides DOM [dead organic matter], all categories of zooplankton and dead organic materials such as phytodetritus and zoodetritus might be used to meet the energetic demands."

This, then, is the predicate for Eric's belief in the greater value of Nannochloropsis sp.

If we accept these findings, then our focus, among other things, should be on zooplankton. I think this is why we are all using Rotifeast and having varying degrees of success with Dendros and the like. Eric had one suggestion for me, a product called Sera Micron, which is an extraordinarily fine mixture of a variety of foods, including zooplankton. I have been using this for a week or so by target feeding. Additionally, Two Little Fishies possesses a product called Zoplan that I just obtained yesterday that seems to fit the bill.
I have two points in all of this. First, based on the article by Widdig and Schlichter there exists a legitimate question concerning the value of a wide spectrum phytoplankton product as opposed to using a more narrow phytoplankton product. Certainly, there is a negative impact on our tanks with too much of invaluable foods in the water column. Second, again based on the article by Widdig and Schlichter, there is every reason to believe more focus should be put on zooplanktons, like Rotifeast, Zoplan and perhaps Sera Micron, which should also, indirectly, increase the availability of zoodetritus.

kreeger1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again with the quoting of a paper that really holds no true.
And you offer a product by two little fishies as something of quality for the dendros? I've never tried it so I can't say they won't feed on it but based on there track record I'll pass.

How long have you kept Dendros Jenperlm? I think your intents are good but your following the wrong path IMO.

Nannochloropsis isn't the key either. Look at that like corn. Not all of that gets digested, yes it tastes good but much is wasted and not beneficial.

Erik

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: