Audio scope for AC measurements

Joined 2023
Paid Member
Hello Gents,

i'm looking for a second audio scope so I can measure the basics of my vintage amplifiers. Current working on a PM665VXi. I'd like to measure the secondary AC's etc...icw with the snubber jig of Quasimodo. Any tips on brands and ranges would helpfull.

thx

reg

w.

The 7000 series was very good but they are very old and it is important to check their actual state (I have three of them).
I would look for a unit from the newer 2000 series which are very reliable and the last analog models from Tek.
As basic scope you can look for a model 2215 or you can go for a model 2465 which many consider one of the best analog scopes ever made (I also have both on my bench).
Please keep in mind we are talking about scopes that are over 30 years old, so it is important to verify they are working as expected.
Good luck!

IMG_3803.JPG

Read up on ground safety with osciliscopes. Think of it as sticking a wire to protective earth in the socket of house (because that is precisely what it is) (a) it may short a circuit, (b) it may make a ground loop which means noise and potentially current flow depending on how the ground is connected, (c) it may cause the circuit to be refernces to ground causing a mailfunction of the circuit and failure.

Dave over at eeblog has a video on it.

I agree - the sampling rate is far better on the 100MHz version. You may even find you can unlock addition features if you read around.

There is a whole digital vs analogue scope argument - mainly 8bit vs analogue. The dso will highlight more whereas the phosphor screen on analogue scopes can hide gremlins in the waveform (depending on state of the scope). However the analogue renders a smoother analogue waveform.

I went for the Siglent sds1104x-e and haven’t looked back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wondered about the ground safety. I see it mentioned often when oscilloscopes are discussed, but never see any actual explanation about the correct vs incorrect way. I’d mostly be looking at North American voltages (120VAC) and lower. I think this is why some people like the battery powered/isolated scopes.

Probably want a probe that can deal with mains transients if you’re intent in measuring mains/smps.

I almost read your post as not to connect the scope to the mains.. a floating scope is not good as your chassis earth is then not protecting the user.. then it twigged.

Not a good idea to connect a scope to the mains. You need an isolated probe for that to be safe.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/tpi-(test-products-int)/ADF25/456908
Hi Rayma,
To momentarily expand on the subject, how would someone identify an isolated probe, versus a normal 10X/100X probe that comes with a scope and states it's good to 400V? The one in your link appear to have a battery box, so I assume this conceals the circuit mechanism for isolating the leads from the oscilloscope, correct?

Joined 2011
Most are isolated with a high impedance as part of a low gain x1/100 or x1/1000 diff amp.
Some use batteries, and some use an external wall wart. There are also optically isolated HV probes.

If there is a "ground clip" it is not an isolated probe, though some battery powered scopes
use this in conjunction with an isolated input stage.

https://www.tek.com/en/products/oscilloscopes/probes/high-voltage-differential-probes

Last edited:
Thanks. Would it be safe to say that a person should get a set of differential probes to prevent an accidental short when testing powered equipment?

Example: John Doe spent his entire life using floating measurement devices, like digital multimeters. He could very easily (in a moment of forgetfulness) try to measure the voltage across a resistor in an amplifier without recalling that the ground clip is at mains earth ground. Instant short, destroying the DUT and maybe the scope.

I have heard some scopes have floating inputs (outer ring of BNC not tied to ground) to prevent this, but no idea what makes/models.

Last edited:
I wondered about the ground safety. I see it mentioned often when oscilloscopes are discussed, but never see any actual explanation about the correct vs incorrect way. I’d mostly be looking at North American voltages (120VAC) and lower. I think this is why some people like the battery powered/isolated scopes.
Somewhere is your audio gear there is "ground zero" where other grounds come to rest. That might be an RCA jack. This is not the same as chassis ground which is probably separated by an RC circuit. So the jack might be a good place for the scope probe ground.