• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So... Malawi, huh?

verbal

CCA Members
I have 3(maybe 6) yellow labs that I will sell.

I have a Red Empress but not the super red. If you might be interested, I can post a pic this evening.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres

List looks pretty good so far. I'd drop either the Otter Point jake or the Eureka. The Eureka is a line bred version of the red jake - nearly the same fish and they will probably wreck each other.

I'm one who subscribes to overcrowding to diffuse aggression (with heavy filtration and water changes) . As the guys you've listed above don't get all that large, you could easily have 20 adult haps that size in a 125.

Off the top of my head, some other cool and compatible fish from Dave's list would be:

Cyrtocara moorii ''Blue Dolphin'' (they get big, but are puppy dogs)
Lethrinops albus Kande (green is rare in the lake and these guys do it well)
Mylochromis ericotaenia Manda (a more timid fish, but completely different than most common haps)
Otopharynx lithobates Zimbawe Rocks ''Yellow Blaze''
Otopharynx tetrastigma (love these guys)
Placidochromis sp. ''Electra Blue'' Hongi Island
Placidochromis sp. ''Jalo'' Jalo Reef

Anyways, there's more on his list that will work and the ones listed are sort of examples. Mid-size Malawi haps can be pretty easily swapped out when you leave out the more aggressive big predators.

rich_one

Members
I have 3(maybe 6) yellow labs that I will sell.

I have a Red Empress but not the super red. If you might be interested, I can post a pic this evening.
Thanks, Verbal... I'll let you know once I get this list finalized!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
List looks pretty good so far. I'd drop either the Otter Point jake or the Eureka. The Eureka is a line bred version of the red jake - nearly the same fish and they will probably wreck each other.

I'm one who subscribes to overcrowding to diffuse aggression (with heavy filtration and water changes) . As the guys you've listed above don't get all that large, you could easily have 20 adult haps that size in a 125.

Off the top of my head, some other cool and compatible fish from Dave's list would be:

Cyrtocara moorii ''Blue Dolphin'' (they get big, but are puppy dogs)
Lethrinops albus Kande (green is rare in the lake and these guys do it well)
Mylochromis ericotaenia Manda (a more timid fish, but completely different than most common haps)
Otopharynx tetrastigma (love these guys)

Anyways, there's more on his list that will work and the ones listed are sort of examples. Mid-size Malawi haps can be pretty easily swapped out when you leave out the more aggressive big predators.
Appreciate those suggestions, Tony! I think I'll add them to the group. I gotta tell you man, there is one on there I just REALLY love, but alas... its one of the ones you warned me to be cautious about, because it may be TOO peaceful. In the interest of pushing the envelope, and because I think it is a SUPER cool fish... do you think I MIGHT be able to get a away with this:

Aulonocara kandeense Kande Island ''Blue Orchid''

Or should I just heed your advice, and stay away! LOL...

And if not, is it possible I can sneak a Vic in, like this one:

Neochromis greenwoodi Mwanza Gulf ''Velvet Black''

Just really hoping to get at least one black fish, and one white fish in the mix. I'm sure I can find a white or two when I look at a small group of labs to toss in.

-Rich

rich_one

Members
So, the updated proposed stock list right now:

Haps:

Copadichromis sp. ''Virginalis Gold'' Nkanda
Placidochromis sp. ''Phenochilus Tanzania'' Lupingu
Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma ''Ivoryhead Mloto''
Sciaenochromis fryeri ''Electric Blue''
Protomelas taeniolatus ''Super Red Empress''

Peakocks:

Aulonocara baenschi Nkhomo Reef ''Yellow Regal''
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Otter Point
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Undu Reef ''Lemon Jake''
Aulonocara koningsi Mbenji ''Blue Regal''
Aulonocara sp. ''Chitande Type North'' Nkhata Bay ''Yellow Head''
Cyrtocara moorii ''Blue Dolphin''
Lethrinops albus Kande
Mylochromis ericotaenia Manda
Otopharynx tetrastigma

I may toss in a few of Verbal's yellow labs, and a few of this lab, if I can find it:

Labidochromis caeruleus Tumbi Reef ''White Lab''

If I cannot find it, can anyone suggest another "whitish" fish? Maybe Labidochromis pallidus ''Yellow Cap''? If it has to be an albino, I'm fine with it.

With the labs, I was kind of thinking of tossing in a couple or few each of yellow, white... and maybe some OB variety? A total of 6 to 9 labs? That would put me to around 23 to 26 fish, give or take, not including a pleco and/or other cat (pending the approval of one of my black fish hopefuls).

-Rich

rich_one

Members
I like the sciaenochromis fryei "white Knight" for a white Malawi

Its on Daves list check it out.
Hi... thanks for the suggestion!

I only see two species of sciaenochromis on his Hap list, and that is not one of them. But I did find a pic by googling it, and you are correct... that is a nice one! And since it is a hap, it fits right in! Thanks, again... I think it makes the list!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
One type of Labidochromis, otherwise you will have Labs crossing.
Yellows are the easiest to find.
I'm hoping to get all males... or will that be hard to determine with Labs? That said, looks like I found my white hap, if it has the stamp of approval with this mix. So yellow it is, anyway.

If Labs breed, will there be aggression issues?

I do think I'd like an OB type fish... peacock would work. Doesn't have to be a lab at all. And maybe I should toss in one albino, just for the sake of variety! LOL...

-Rich

fischfan13

Banned
You should be able to find people with extra male Yellow Labs.
White Labs are pretty uncommon and those of us :)D) who have them are trying to breed them.
OB's?
Lots of those hanging around.
Labeotropheus?
Aulonocara?

rich_one

Members
You should be able to find people with extra male Yellow Labs.
White Labs are pretty uncommon and those of us :)D) who have them are trying to breed them.
OB's?
Lots of those hanging around.
Labeotropheus?
Aulonocara?
Thanks. I'll stick to the male yellow labs. I'll find my white and OB among the peacock population.

Any comments on the black Vic? Pushing the envelope?

-Rich

killakacti

Members
Hi... thanks for the suggestion!

I only see two species of sciaenochromis on his Hap list, and that is not one of them. But I did find a pic by googling it, and you are correct... that is a nice one! And since it is a hap, it fits right in! Thanks, again... I think it makes the list!

You are right its not on Daves list, I have been looking at so much fish lately I have lost track. It is on my stocking list as well. If ya find them before i do let me know were you got them.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Appreciate those suggestions, Tony! I think I'll add them to the group. I gotta tell you man, there is one on there I just REALLY love, but alas... its one of the ones you warned me to be cautious about, because it may be TOO peaceful. In the interest of pushing the envelope, and because I think it is a SUPER cool fish... do you think I MIGHT be able to get a away with this:

Aulonocara kandeense Kande Island ''Blue Orchid''

Or should I just heed your advice, and stay away! LOL...

And if not, is it possible I can sneak a Vic in, like this one:

Neochromis greenwoodi Mwanza Gulf ''Velvet Black''

Just really hoping to get at least one black fish, and one white fish in the mix. I'm sure I can find a white or two when I look at a small group of labs to toss in.

-Rich
I think you would have a tough time keeping a blue orchid in the tank showing color. They seem to do well in species setups, but are very shy among larger fish. They are also considered a dwarf species, and max out at about 4". You could try, but you may end up with a silver or hiding peacock. I don't see any problems with the Vic. I have a 3.5" Vic in a 180 with 6-8" peacocks and haps and he is never bothered. I think they're mean enough to hold their own against anything that can't eat them. Good luck with the stocking.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Like Mike said, I've tried to introduce extra A. maylandi males (the other "dwarf peacock" - almost the same fish) into all-male setups a couple of times. They get pwned, don't compete well for food and turn off all their colors. Can't guarantee much about an all-male tank, but pretty sure of that one.

The black velvet hap looks cool. Looks almost like Astatotilapia nubilia. If they're similar temperament, then they'd do fine as A. nubilia is a pretty tough cookie.

rich_one

Members
Thanks, Tony. I appreciate all of the input that helped me put this list together. I think this is gonna look pretty cool, once said and done!

-Rich