• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Stocking is a Mess...(Caution Pic Heavy)

AquaStudent

Members
My 55 gallon AC tank has come a long way over the past 2 years. I built a DIY foam and cement background to make moving the tank easier and to hide all the equipment. Now the only thing that really needs fixing is the stock.

Right now the tank stocking is reminiscent of the days when I didn't know anything about keeping fish (not that I do today). I built most of my stocking from the, tempting to the uneducated, Mixed African Cichlid tanks found in the pet stores. Because of that my tank is full of fish of all different species and unknown genetics.

Because of this I'm considering going to a two species only tank (I think 3 would be pushing it a bit too much) but am not sure which species to select or even what to do with the current fish.

Here's the current stocking (and IDs to the best of my ability and those that have looked at images of them).

Pseudotropheus acei (Yellowtail Acei) - This guy was one of the first three fish I put in the tank. I've got to watch him grow up since he was only a few inches small.

Pseudotropheus socolofi - He's teh current tank boss. He shows his dominance but is not nearly as cruel as the former tank boss (an auratus). He is the largest mbuna in the tank.

Metriaclima elongatus (chewere) - Currently my favorite fish in the tank. I love his colors and he's not overly aggressive. He shares one of the small caves with an oddball fish in the tank.

Nimbochromis venustus (Giraffe Cichlid) - I picked this guy up when he was only a few inches big about a year and a half ago from a local LFS's mixed tank. It wasn't until later that I IDed him as a venestus (and looked up how big they get). The best option may be to find him a new home because a 55g won't do him justice.

Metriaclima lombardoi (Kenyii - female) - She has also been with me since the formation of the tank. She joined me in the second batch of three that I added to the tank. I enjoy her light blue colors and so far she hasn't been too outwardly aggressive but I fear she may be the cause of unnatural breeding aggressions (unnatural as in mixed species). Because of this she may not be a good option to stay with my set-up.

(potentially) Metriaclima greshakei (female?) - This one is still a mystery to me. It was IDed on this site as a greshakei about 6+ months ago but I'm not convinced. She doesn't add much to the community. She is very passive and not overly flashy.

(potentially) Aulonocara nyassae - I was over visiting my local Petco and noticed this guy in the tank they have for donated fish. He was being beaten to death by his buddy. The associate there said the fish was free so I took him home. He recovered quickly and became one of the dominant fish in the tank.

Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab) - I'm a huge fan of yellow labs. They are peaceful and colorful. This guy doesn't cause problems and gives a bright yellow contrast to my dark gray background.

Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra) - This guy was also an early addition to the tank. He is currently the only fish showing any red/orange colors in the tank. So far he hasn't been violent although I know the reputation these guys have.

(possibly) Metriaclima greshakei (Albino) - He joined the tank about a year and a half ago but recently has been the center of a lot of aggression. I'm not sure what I should do with him in the future because if he remains, and doesn't start sticking up for himself, he will be living a stressful life. He was also IDed by CCA members although it's a hard job.

(possibly) Metriaclima greshakei - This guy was also IDed by CCA members as greshakei (it's a popular ID). He is midrange on the totempole in the tank. He's got an interesting mix of browns and golds with a slight teal sheen.

Not pictured are two Pseudotropheus saluosi brothers. They were given to me by a CCA member a couple of months ago and have been growing nicely. One is beginning to show dominant male colors while the smaller one says more yellow.

So that's the African Cichlid stocking in my 55g. Definitely a mess.

If I was to do a species only tank I think I would like to go with either Pseudotropheus 'elongatus chewere' or saluosi. As a secondary species I'm thinking Yellowtail Acei or Yellow Lab. There are other, more striking acei like the Acei ngara Whitetail but can they be found locally?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or IDs would be greatly appreciated. I plan on attending the June CCA meeting and would be happy to exchange some of my fish.

Last edited:
I would strongly suggest you do an acei and yellow lab tank. Both are very mild and a good color compliment. You can pick up more of both species from other club members (including me and Tony, although we have the white tailed acei). I think you could then keep ONE male as a sort of centerpiece fish. I think the peacock is a good choice. I've got basically this tank now in a 45 with a ruby red peacock boy as my centerpiece. It's a pretty tank, active without violence. I have 8 of each mbuna species. Probably would be good stocking for your tank.

AquaStudent

Members
I have seen yellow lab/yellowtail acei tanks before. They do look great. I actually considered that style when I started off but decided against it. The only reason I would be hesitant to go with that is it's very standard. "Peaceful" ACs would be nice to keep though especially since I would really only have the 55g to work with and very limited space for time out.

Yellow Labs and the ngara would be an interesting combination.

By whitetail acei do you mean the Ngara that I mentioned or is it a color morph of the yellowtail?

CichlidOWNR

Members
Good to see the Saulosi doing well. I am partial to the Saulosi tank since you can have greater numbers in the size of tank and they are pretty active. You could do two males with 12 females in a 55 gallon as an example. You could also do 1 male and 4 of another species pending size.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks again Alan. They are gorgeous fish. The larger male is coloring up nicely and he does take after his fiesty father. He is not afraid to throw his weight around.

Ahh there are so many decisions. Everything seems like it would go great!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have seen yellow lab/yellowtail acei tanks before. They do look great. I actually considered that style when I started off but decided against it. The only reason I would be hesitant to go with that is it's very standard. "Peaceful" ACs would be nice to keep though especially since I would really only have the 55g to work with and very limited space for time out.

Yellow Labs and the ngara would be an interesting combination.

By whitetail acei do you mean the Ngara that I mentioned or is it a color morph of the yellowtail?

They're from different parts of the lake and pretty different fish. The commonly listed collection point for the yellow tail Acei is listed as Msuli Point, though they've been in the hobby a pretty long time and have become somewhat line bred. Their bodies are a bit lighter blue and they get a bit larger than the white tail variety.

The white tails are from Ngara and the majority of those in the club are children/grandchildren from a wild trio that I purchased about 5 years ago. They are darker-bodied and max out at about 5"-6".

Look at them side-by-side and they're pretty different. I saw Ad give an open water Malawi talk a couple years back at an ACA and their biggest similarity comes from their behavior. They both occupy somewhat open water, around fallen logs and other debris in the sandy area (as opposed to more rocky areas like most mbuna).

I have kept them with labs before and they look great and get along well.

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks Tony. I was wondering if the whitetails you all had were the Ngara variant or some other version (and you answered that for me).

Have you had any breeding with them recently?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks Tony. I was wondering if the whitetails you all had were the Ngara variant or some other version (and you answered that for me).

Have you had any breeding with them recently?

I haven't been pulling the females lately as the group is in my 180 and despite them holding constantly, sort of a PITA. I have a group of 2"-2.5" ones though that I can part with (I think Holly is looking to thin her herd as well).

Let me check numbers and I'll get back to you. If you're interested, we'll sell them cheap.

AquaStudent

Members
Haha that's quite understandable Tony. A 180 would have a lot of hiding places and cichlids are FAST!

Thanks Holly. I need to decide in which direction I want to take the tank. There are just so many good options.

If I was to go with a species only tank I'd have to find people to exchange/give some of my current fish away. If not there's always the option of donating to the auction but then they become more of an impulse pickup.

I'm really tinking that would be the way to go...