Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: So who wants a real Apistogramma cacatuoides "super red"?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Me! Me! And I will pay what it's worth!!

3 17.65%
  • I want. But not anything more than S$15.

1 5.88%
  • Maybe...To be honest, I see, I like, I buy. It's that simple.

12 70.59%
  • Nah! So many fishes, so few tanks. I'm spoiled for choice anyway.

1 5.88%

Thread: "Super red" or is that really "Orange"?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

"Super red" or is that really "Orange"?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

For those of you in the hobby for a few years, I'm sure you recall the days when Apistogramma cacatuoides "super red" was red. These days, anything but red is also termed as "super red". Has the standard here really drop that badly? Here's a couple of pictures of the tail end of the "super red" shipments that I used to see.

In Taiwan, Hong Kong, these are cheap entry level aquarium strain dwarf cichlids (together with Apistogramma agassizii), but still, they command between S$40 to S$100 a pair, depending on the origin. But they are red. And back then, there was a differentiation between "Double red" "Triple red" and "Super red". I'm sure people like Simon, benetay etc will still remember these in the trade.

Those that we see locally are farm bred in Singapore/Malaysia and unfortunately, the breeders don't seem to be borther to maintain the color or form, resulting in washed out coloration and deformities. Sometimes crossing the "orange flash" with the "Super red" when they don't have the correct breeding stock. It's really quite disheartening.

I was wondering...if shops like Biotope Aquarium is willing to bring in such fishes at prices between S$60 to S$100, who will buy them? Perhaps at least one shipment to start a decent line going. Or is this a lost cause and we as hobbyists should just mourn and move on.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One more! My very first dwarf cichlid from benetay!!

Just found the old picture and re processed it for color bias.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I like the 1st and last picture....its deep red color is great,
    for the last picture, the body displays a tint of orange especially on the stomach area, great stuff!!

Although this is a common entry-level species, it is still important to maintain a good line...this applies to breeding of all species of fish too!!

As for my pair, i'm really lucky and fortunate to pick up a fantastic male with an extra red ventral fin which is seldom seen, its fries possess strong coloration as early as 2months (approximate)....

I'll be going down to biotope in search for a good female to breed with my male, time to give the current female a well-deserved break!!
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've seen Ap. Cacatuoides with both ventrals having the red patterns a couple of times. If you guys have carefully observed the male from CF (not sure if its still there). That specimen have both ventrals with the red patterns too.
    Last edited by genes; 31st Mar 2007 at 10:47.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    beauty. this is what i will call a super red. intense redness and pattern. used to have 1 pair like that. got it from a local breeder for 35 bucks for a pair. i think , if i happen to get back to the hobby, i will be willing to spend ard 35 for a pair too??(lost touch of the pricing liao)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is it still available in Singapore Market?

Nice specimen. Do you think its still available in lfs or perhaps among the hobbyist?

Great looks...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The cacatuoides species has been in the market too long since it's introduction. It was introduced in the 70/80's. The color morph we have today is a result of intense selective breeding and thus losing it's genetic diversity along the way with notable abnormalities forming after a certain generation. Therefore there's a need for outcrossing when a high percentage of abnormalities appear in the offspring resulting in hybrids. These hybrids can no longer be named according to any one of the parents thus a new name was given especially catchy ones. It's just purely sale gimmick to me. Anyway it's just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by valice; 6th May 2007 at 01:44.