Odd colored Hengli rasbora ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I bought these fish in two batches, four the first time then five from a separate shipment at an independent lfs.

I have one that is very orange/metalic reflective over a large part of it's body, not just the stripe. It also has orange eyes where the other have more tanish eyes (body colored).

Have you seen this coloration before?

These are the best pics I can get. They are still shots from our 6 year old camcorder. The color is faded looking in these pics. They are far more vibrant in real life.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Trigonostigma hengeli. Notice their body shape is more slender than the T. heteromorpha? See T. espei as well which is just as likely.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I am not understanding your reply. Are you saying I have two different species here? The bright guy is different than the rest? If so, who is who?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
Want to know something funny! I "special ordered" boraras brigitae and got these guys. I got them home and knew they were totally not what I ordered.

Should I get more T. espi for my lone guy to have more of his type? He schools/shoals with the others just fine but I want them to be happy.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Can't hurt to add more T. espei. With such similar markings, I doubt the T. espei can tell those are not his own species.lol

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I have 9 of these in a 10 gallon planted tank. If it's not beneficial to get more of the T espei, then I won't. I have a few empty tanks to set up in the future and I might move the one espei out into a new tank with more of his kind - assuming I can get them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have espei & harlys that school together but I'm sure they know who is the same species :grinyes: There's friends & special friends :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store