Different Cavlus/Comp Variants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I thought it would be fun to show the different calvus/comp variants one can find in the hobby! I tried looking on google but I didn't have much success. I know some of you have a nice collection.

I'll start though mine are still small (2")
Yellow Calvus (I don't know the collection point)

White Calvus Chaitika

I also have some Red Lufubu Comps but they are very young.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have had a lot of different varieties of Calvus and Comps right now i have 8 Black Inkfin Calvus and 4 Goldhead Muzi Comps all are very small not even 2" yet and are hard to photo i will work on that.. Nice Alto's guys..

But i do have a Video that i just took a week ago.

[video]http://youtu.be/O7WNH0x7vBU[/video]

Last edited:

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Altolamprologus calvus (black Congo white pearl)

Should become a very good thread we can all build on. For starters, here are some of the altolamps that I have....

Altolamprologus calvus (black Congo white pearl)
Distinguishing characteristics: largest pearls of any calvus and yellow on forehead. The collection point is a closely guarded secrete by the collectors.

Male

Male

Male

Female (left) and male (right)

Female

Female guarding eggs/fry

Female with trademark yellow on forehead

F1 Fry

I'll do a similar reply for Muzi gold head comps & orange fin comps too. For Gold heads, I'll find pics on other collection points too. Due to the confusion regarding Inkfins, I'll tackle those too (as you gotta be very careful with Inks as you see them on people's lists but true Inks haven't come in since Thorsten Rueters sold out to the Bucklands).

Anybody want some homework to scout the inetrnet and find pics for other altos. For starters, there is Yellow and White calvus, there is Redfin & Firefin comps. I am sure I am missing a few.

Whoever does Yellow calvus, send me a PM as I have a great photo for your reply.

Russ

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Inkfin Black Congo Calvus

Inkfin Black Congo Calvus

Before I get started, I just want to say that the following post is likely to offend some. I can't help that, as I am confident that it is based on truth and is accurate. The term “Inkfin” has become a marketing buzzword to increase sales. A true Inkfin was originally known as “Inkfin Black Congo Calvus” and no collection point was disclosed by Thorsten Reuters (ACA). All the wild Inkfin Black Congo came from TR’s teams and for a short time the Bucklands who he sold his company to and stayed on staff for a time to assist the new owners.

TR did not disclose the location that he discovered the Inkfin and consequently we have not had true "wild" Inkfin come into the country since, probably, no later than 2003.

Characteristics of an Inkfin Black Congo Calvus:
  • Fins have no transparency – there is almost as much black pigment in the fins as there is in the body mass.
  • The white spots are not as large and not as numerous as other calvus variants (the pattern is almost sporadic).
  • Females seem to show more of a pattern than the males.
  • Deepest, blackest, calvus in the lake (almost jet black).
  • So dark that the barring is almost not visible (especially on the head where other black clavus will show barring).
  • While this may not be a universal fact, it seems that the Inkfin is the meanest calvus variant.
Source: a good friend who has been involved in most aspects of the hobby & business for the past 25 years and one of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby.

If your Inkfin calvus looks like this, you may just have a true Inkfin.

F1 Fry

IMHO,
Russ

Last edited:

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I'll try and add a bit :)

White Calvus Chaitika

I have realized there is some variation in this specie. One of mine is very white with defined brown stripes. The other 2 look more like black calvus.

Here are some pictures I found on the net. Mine aren't full size yet.

To show some of the variation I found this picture online of a WC white calvus male

I think part of it has to do with lighting, diet and substrate color. I have mine over eccocomplete so they are very dark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store