Rare Aquatic 27/10/12

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I took these on my mum's compact camera, and it may well be it's swan song since I dropped it on the floor :cry: so some are from my phone as well.

Panaque bathyphilus 'Puerto Maldonado'

Pesudacanthicus L273

Scobinancistrus L253

With sneaky Pseudacanthicus L024 behind it.

Panaque cf. armbrusteri 'Araguaia'

Or are they Panaque cf. nigrolineatus 'Araguaia' with those teeth?

'Discus'

Panaque cf. armbrusteri 'Xingu'

Corydoras pulcher(?)

Panaque titan/L418

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nice fish I keep saying it I wish we had a lfs like this here

At first those panaque looked like xingu but then I saw the name and thought no way they're araguaia and then the mouth made me think 190 and they look just like the fish that guy bought here that he thought was a goldline but it's a 190.

So what's the deal with these? I'm confident in saying they're not araguaia

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
It might not be apparent in the pictures but, in person, there's no doubt for me that they are Araguaia. Once they settle in more, the colours may show better, as they had only been in for one day.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't find the list but a few months back a supplier out if brazil was selling panaque nigro brazil out of araguaia common name was yellow panaque or gold panaque 27

I think Unungy was selling them as well. They were cheaper then usual.

Are you going to buy some??? :)

Last edited:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
The mouth doesn't match up???
The teeth are too big and the pattern is off.

They look to be over 6"TL?

These fish are confusing
The mouth matches with what I've seen from other Araguaia, and what I've suspected for a while now. This is why I think they're more accurately described as cf. nigrolineatus rather than cf. armbrusteri. And these fish are between 20-25cm/8-10".

Have a look at this thread, the first few pages have pictures and discussion about this (and a superb Xingu on page 10).

I can't find the list but a few months back a supplier out if brazil was selling panaque nigro brazil out of araguaia common name was yellow panaque or gold panaque 27

I think Unungy was selling them as well. They were cheaper then usual.

Are you going to buy some??? :)
I believe these were bought as the same, L027 Gold. They are at £140, which I think is a cracking price, and I'm definitely thinking about a pair.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The mouth doesn't match from the few I've seen and the few recently imported. They don't match my big boys mouth too.
At that size their mouth should be identical to a larger one.

The mouth does match some others I've seen on other forums but the fish overal didn't look like the typical araguaia they look like the ones you posted.
The link you posted are some of the fish I'm referring to.

Maybe the teeth pattern and size aren't the same with all of them?

Maybe the P. Nigro brazil isn't bull???

The price is also another thing that makes me scratch my head.

Get them LoloL
They're for sure not 190's and they look very nice :)

They're nice fish and worth the coin

Last edited: