Identify the mystery pleco (hypancistrus sp)

FrankvdB

May 9, 2012
Rotterdam
www.aquapraat.nl
Hi there :hi:

To start.. there is been a discussion going on in the Netherlands on different forum`s and no one seems to really know what me and 2 friends of my really own. Its about a very nice little specie, wich max length included its tail will be 9 cm. Has a little bit forked tail and has a pretty big variety on is pattern.
I have 13 of them, and the all adult`s and are about 2-4 years old, the other owner has some of the same fish wich he bought like 3 months ago and were 7 years owned bij the same guy who imported them adult as wildcaught fish. So were pretty sure they wont get bigger, the bigges is 9 cm and maybe 9.5 cm but not bigger.

We discussed some different species, we bought it as the L316... we concluded its not that one, but what is it? Some say L333, but i dont buy that lol, i have 8 of them here, and there are build way higher than this fish, also the head shape is very different. What i`m thinking myself and the 2 other guys who own them is maybe L450, or the L287... L173b is also a similar species but i thinkt myself L450 / L287 are more like it.
Others also said L400, wich are a lot of diferent fish as you maybe know.

Here i have some picture`s of the fish, pictures are taken a while ago, so the colors are brighter now <3

Thanks in advance, sorry for my not perfect language :lol:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
They are a very pretty fish whatever they are....
Not sure as to an exact i.d though to be honest, you can rule out L333 though, its no where near big/ stocky enough for these.
I'd agree on them not being L316 as the shape looks wrong to me, they don't look like L400's to me either.
as for L450:dk:, could well be

FrankvdB

May 9, 2012
Rotterdam
www.aquapraat.nl
Thanx Scatz for the reply :)
Im not sure aswell, nice that u tell me it aint the L333, some people do say it is one, but i own both this and the L333, and on the same reason i think it is not a 333.
316 is also ruled out, and L400 is a big group.. so easy to put in, but if it is.. it must be the most beautifull L400 lol.. so thats also why i go for L450.. but im very curious what other people say :) if i breed them i want to sell em under the right number

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hi,

I do also agree with Scatz. You in Europe get so many new imports and variations, that it is really hard sometimes. I would also tend to go for the L450, but maybe you need more photos of the fish in a glass container. cheers jk :thumbup:

FrankvdB

May 9, 2012
Rotterdam
www.aquapraat.nl
Thanx all for the reply`s :) i also have a strong feeling it goes through for a L450 :)
L098 or L173 it aint, colors are way brighter of those species and built is a little bit different tough.. L173b is a possibility even as the L287 but both are not official numbers what i know (invented bij glaser aquarium in germany)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
its hard to tell from the photo -are the colours really black and white or are they dark brown and/ or cream pale markings? as this could open other possibilities maybe.

FrankvdB

May 9, 2012
Rotterdam
www.aquapraat.nl
Hi Irene, tnx also for your reply :) the colours are really black and white, only the water is a little yellow and the pic`s are made with flash zo they look a little different colour.
what possibility`s do you think then? because i little different colour if so, could also be the location where its found (like L333 Xingu and Porto du moz, the white and the yellow one). but there just like the first pic`s only less blue lol