Nannostomus rubrocaudatus- Purple pencilfish Rio Huallaga

On 3/16/2024 at 5:16 PM, macdaddy36 said:

How do these compare to beckford's pencilfish? I was considering these but they are kind of expensive.

They are larger than my beckfordi.  So far about the same personality with a bit higher activity level. I’ve only had these in the tank for about 3 hours.  
I love the intense wiggle sparring of the beckfords as well as the color change and personality. 
I can’t give any more comparisons yet.  These are way too pricey for me.  But hey if someone gives me free fish and asks me to try and breed them I’m all in!!!!

Here are my Beckfordi. 

• Like 2

These guys settled in very quickly. They inspected inside the moss collection cup.  One boy claimed it and would not allow the other in. I may need to put 2 separate cups in. 
They have started sparring for dominance and mating rights. These guys are so fun to watch. 

• Like 2

They sure are pretty!  I like the more substantial body on these than the Beckford's.  Never seen them in person, but seeing your videos looks like similar behavior which is what makes Beckford's fun, IMO.  

Hope you can get them to breed!  I'd heard they're not as hardy as the Beckford's, but who knows how true that is vs someone just having a bad experience.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 9:54 AM, jwcarlson said:

I'd heard they're not as hardy as the Beckford's,

They seem robust. However when they arrived to my friend who held them for a week or so, 1-DOA, 1-lasted a day only a day, 1- fell a few days later. 
Im taking no chances with these because I’m not certain how hardy they are. I’ll be swapping collection cups as soon as I see them spawn each time to try to maximize the yield.  
The hardiness may be getting reported as less because these are still being mostly wild collected is my understanding vs tank raised like Beckford ms.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 2