Fairy Cichlid

AAE

IMG_0390.jpeg.692821c4d1b4c4d8e6b81bbef2e885c4.jpegI have been learning a ton through Aquarium Co-op videos.  I have significantly upped my tank care for my 40 gallon all-in-one tank with neolamprolgus elongates (or brichardi, depending on the source).  Some of the fairy cichlids are hiding, as are the synodontis pericola.  Plants are doing better than ever and the fish have spawned (it has happened before but this is the largest one I have seen).  I have been using the Aquarium Co-op baby flake food - I grab some with long tweezers and let it go near the fry.  After more than a week, there are still a lot of babies, so they must be eating it!  So I am grateful to Aquarium Co-op for the instruction and products and to you on this forum for being a community who understand the joy of aquarium keeping.  Happy New Year!

Edited by AAE
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

That's wonderful! Congratulations. Brichadri are a species I've never worked with before, but one of my LFS gets them in regularly. They are an elegant fish.

I have a rescue pair of Julidochromus marlieri that are _not_ spawning at all . . . I think they're a pair, due to size dimorphism. Perhaps they need tank mates to bring on spawning behavior.

@Fish Folk, the Neolamprologus Brichardi because they have withstood some mild neglect (infrequent water changes) for a few years prior to my retirement 1.5 years ago.  If I end up with any extra young fish from this brood, and you live in the Los Angeles area, I would be happy to give you some.  They are an interesting fish to observe and you noted, elegant.

• Like 1

@mynameisnobody, what size tank did you have your fish in?  I would love to have a colony but am a bit worried the 40 gallon may be too small.  Right now, I probably have 6-8 of the species.  The tank is well filtered and I do water changes weekly, and test water quality weekly.

• Like 1

I had them in a 40 breeder. I started with 2 males and 6 females, filtered by an aqua clear 70. Obviously they’d appreciate the larger footprint of a 55 or 75, but 40 is adequate. As long as you keep an eye out on your water parameters and the hierarchy, you’ll be ok. 

• Thanks 1

I've always wanted to keep these fish but I'm not sure how well they would do in a planted tank. I prefer keeping dwarf cichlids in a community setting but whenever I see brichardi, they're in a species only tank with very little to no plants or with other african cichlids.

@knee, my NB are in a planted tank, and there are no issues.  They may have displaced some potostesmon stellatus octopus stems but I just replanted them and all is good.  The anubias, java moss and java fern are all undisturbed.  I had 2 juli r in the tank and one passed a while ago - the other is tolerated.

• 2 weeks later...