Juvenile Altum angelfish

CaptRed

Just got a 6 tank bred Altum angelfish and was hoping for suggestions on trying to get a pair out of them. I’ve read angelfish will pair off on their own but I was wondering if there was any good advice for care and potentially breeding them. 
IMG_4338.jpeg.73ecad8fc24c991cbb980aa3078f1b1e.jpegIMG_4328.png.30dcd7cfc8437f2329811508ce1ce683.png

I already have a breeding pair of koi angelfish and have my first batch of fry, but I’m not sure these if these fish need anything different from a standard koi angel

Personally I would just let them naturally pair off. In my experience, it has been basically impossible to 100% tell male vs. female until pairs are formed and they start breeding. As far as I know, Altum’s are no different. Grow em out, let them pair off, and then move those pairs as needed or let the thunder dome commence lol. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 11:21 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Personally I would just let them naturally pair off. In my experience, it has been basically impossible to 100% tell male vs. female until pairs are formed and they start breeding. As far as I know, Altum’s are no different. Grow em out, let them pair off, and then move those pairs as needed or let the thunder dome commence lol. 

That’s what I figured, it was the same for my koi’s. Thanks for the response. I’m hoping I’ll  get at least one pair from these six

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 9:30 PM, CaptRed said:

I’m hoping I’ll  get at least one pair from these six

I’m sure you will! Would be wild if you didn’t, lol. 

What size tank are you going to keep them in? Altums have always intrigued me, but I don’t have a tank I think would be big enough. My 55 is fine for my standard Angels, but those Altums can get huge. No judgment, I’m just genuinely curious. 

Once you get a pair and they start breeding you should make a journal! I’d love to follow along. My Angels are my bread and butter when it comes to credit at the LFS. I can live vicariously through your Altums lol

On 11/17/2023 at 11:42 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I’m sure you will! Would be wild if you didn’t, lol. 

What size tank are you going to keep them in? Altums have always intrigued me, but I don’t have a tank I think would be big enough. My 55 is fine for my standard Angels, but those Altums can get huge. No judgment, I’m just genuinely curious. 

Once you get a pair and they start breeding you should make a journal! I’d love to follow along. My Angels are my bread and butter when it comes to credit at the LFS. I can live vicariously through your Altums lol

For now they are in a 40 breeder for quarantine and grow out a bit then I’m planning on putting pairs in 75s. 

id love to make a journal of these fish and the whole process of growing up, and hopefully spawning, I’ve wanted a pair of these for a long time and my LFS finally got a batch. (Unfortunately where I live the demand for high quality fish isn't high so these took years to finally come in) Should I post updates here or somewhere else?

On 11/17/2023 at 10:02 PM, CaptRed said:

Should I post updates here or somewhere else?

Your call. Personally, I would post it in the Photos, Videos & Journals section of the forum. Members have specific tank builds, breeding projects, all-encompassing journals, etc. posted in that section. It’s a nice way to document and watch things progress over time and chat with others on the forum. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes