Pseudotropheus Saulosi Sex Change

Andrew Puhr

I have a weird thing happening. I thought my female saulosi was getting sick because her head starting to change colors but after about 2 weeks I have noticed that she is exhibiting male coloring with the stripes and some blue hints coming through. I am wondering if I have a subdominant male that is coloring up or if something else is going on. 

20220316_214822.jpg

• Like 1

Although there certainly are some fish species that can change sex, I am not aware of any African Cichlids that do this.

Looking at your photo, my first guess is to agree it is a male beginning to exhibit “bearding” as he reaches sexual maturity — but who is also trying to stay subdominant / submissive to the dominant male in the aquarium. Mbunas tend to establish a pretty defined pecking order. The dominant male will swim centrally in the tank, will display the most vibrant colors, and will generally spawn with available females.

Another possibly is that you’ve got a hybrid. So many of the Africans sold nowadays are hybrids, it’s difficult to get a pure strain unless you order from a breeder.

For reference, here’s a few photos of male and female Saulosi…

3C158043-3AA5-48DE-8CA8-6B5369EA2488.jpeg.0c995465c6da55f8adbb52fcbf3d4b20.jpeg

DAA00479-D12F-4BE0-B139-B1B919E72229.jpeg.7e3aa4877b9018eb783a18f25b126c65.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk