What Apisto's do we have here in Nz?

danval

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say all the panduro have gone.

P44 What is the yellow cheeked apisto. The only reference I can find is A. sp. 2 which is sometimes incorrectly known as A. sp. Guttata Xingu. It is probably A. sp. Xingu which is a lovely little fish closely related to eunotus and A. sp. Blaukopf/Blue-head. Either way I don't think we have ever had it in NZ.

A.trifesiata have been bred but not in large numbers yet.

IMHO breed the agassizi. They are challenging but not extremely difficult and people, like me, will pay good money for a pair of them.

Also "yellow cheek" apisto.

The last ones of these that were imported were true borellii I got some and they were starting to show real potential I even got them to spawn but they were weak as and just died off.. I think the same happened everywhere as I have never seen nor heard of anyone with them still..

Panduro unfortunately appear to have died off too, I had an awesome pair (one of the last I know about) and lost them with no babies produced :(

No, They are totally different.

__

The yellow cheeked apistos that came in maybe 2 years ago now? looked to be the real borellii.

Guess they were one of those fish that no one really paid much attention to; they were only here for a brief period and only a few people bought them.

No, They are totally different.

__

The yellow cheeked apistos that came in maybe 2 years ago now? looked to be the real borellii.

Guess they were one of those fish that no one really paid much attention to; they were only here for a brief period and only a few people bought them.

Yeah eunutus are completely different fish :)

I got a few of those yellow cheeks tried to get some more and they were off the list then back on again apparently the supplier had been having losses.. I suspect they all just died out gradually, but would love to hear if anyone had any luck with them?

Haven't looked at the Axelrod altas for a while but it is possible steel blues aren't in there as they are a hybrid fish..

Just for comparison

Eunotus http://www.worldwide-fish.nl/Pages/viss ... noutus.jpg

Steel blue http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/22736 ... 6c0ab7.jpg

Steel blues have came in as borellii for years unfortunately.. I always get a little bit excited and ask for pics when I see borellii listed on trademe with no pic hoping that some of the old ones have survived but haven't found any yet.

oh. in my axelrod atlas the eunotos looked the same as a steel blue.

ah well, still not as bad as the fact that a load of steel blues where on the importers lists as Borellis... :lol:

How old is that atlas??

Apistos are still being discovered.

Here is one of my female Borelli

DSCF1341.jpg

Compare these two

Here is a Steel Blue( Mine)

june9029.jpg

And a Male Eunotus

A-eunotus-ken.jpg

Not my pic. I have these but have no photos yet

Here is a picture of my Tri Male

20100806.jpg

Yes they are compleatly diferent fish. The A. sp. Blaukopf/Blue-head aka A. sp. New Blue or Steel-blue is thought to be a domestic cross between the resticulosa- & caetei-complex. No one is sure exactly where it came from but it is still a very nice looking fish.

The fish that Supasi and I have has been IDed as likley to be A.cf.eunotus "Spaltenfleck/Split-patch" because of the unusual double caudal spot.

Here is mine.

Male1Euno3.jpg

Do you guys think a pair of A.hongsloi's would be alright in my Juwel Rio 180 that is already housing 2 x German Blue Rams?

So long as the tank is well planted with heaps of hiding spaces then yes.BUT Apistos get very territorial when spawning so consider this. In my opinion you are best to keep these in their own tank and try to breed them. They are rare in NZ and it would be great to get them breeding.

Do you have access to some Hongslois?

Do you guys think a pair of A.hongsloi's would be alright in my Juwel Rio 180 that is already housing 2 x German Blue Rams?

Yes, I think they would go fine. The hongsloi are much more peaceful than other apistos in my experience. In fact, I have about 15 of them in a half full 180 L tank with a load of other fish (including other apistos) and they are nothing but peaceful all the time. I originally had my breeding pair in a tank with a pair of rams, some danios and a couple of GBA and there was never any aggression (except the usual husband/wife bashing after spawning but this wasn't directed at anyone else). My bunch may be particularly peaceful, but if so it is passing on to offspring.

Sorry, I am not at my home computer today but the male looks like this photo but without the pink chin markings and yellow. The offspring are developing the pink chin markings and yellow along with very long dorsal fins. They all have that pink on the dorsal fin, tail and belly.

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other/DSC_5311.JPG

Very nice but have you got any pics of the females? or one that looks like them? I have a feeling the ones I have found may not be A.hongsloi (just females no males) and I'm not sure what they are but the closet pic I can find that remsembles them are A.viejita. This is pretty much what the females look like but abit more (second pic on the bottom left)http://zipcodezoo.com/photographers/Nicholas%20Chung.asp